1980's Westinghouse switchboard question

Status
Not open for further replies.

chas1776

Inactive, Email Never Verified
I have been searching for documentation on an 80's Westinghouse switchboard 2500 amp 3phase 480volt model# AT62080 and can't find anything anywhere on the web. I'm actually looking for the lug rating of the terminals in the feeder section, some say it's 90C and some say it's 75c. The facility where it's located has no documentation, I'm hoping someone here may know where else to look.

Thanks. Chas.

zog

I have been searching for documentation on an 80's Westinghouse switchboard 2500 amp 3phase 480volt model# AT62080 and can't find anything anywhere on the web. I'm actually looking for the lug rating of the terminals in the feeder section, some say it's 90C and some say it's 75c. The facility where it's located has no documentation, I'm hoping someone here may know where else to look.

Thanks. Chas.

How about some photos or other nameplate data to go by, you are not providing much information to go by.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
There is no UL Listed equipment (i.e. molded case breakers) that uses terminations rated for conductors sized at 90?C.

ANSI switchgear (i.e. DS drawout breakers) is rated for conductors sized at 90?C.

Are there UL labels on the equipment?

cadpoint

When did the internet come on-line ? :)

Your desired information is as only as good as a manufacturer will release it!

JMSO

Last edited:

brian john

Eaton is not publishing on line old switchboard information, I was able to contact an older service guy that had all the literature in his personal library for some trip curves I needed.

What do you need to know?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Thank the lord for us "older guys" who predate the internet... when humans were required to have brains that retained information for more than 3.7 minutes.

...young whippersnappers... "HEY YOU KIDS, GET OFFA MY LAWN!!!

coot.jpg

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Thanks. Chas.

As Brian John mentioned, Eaton-Cutler Hammer took over (or bought or inherited or something like that) the Westinghouse Switchboard line. Try contacting your Cutler Hammer rep. You can probably still get buckets and stuff for it.

Steve

zog

Eaton is not publishing on line old switchboard information, I was able to contact an older service guy that had all the literature in his personal library for some trip curves I needed.

This info is getting harder to come by, but if I had some better info chances are I would have what he needs.

chas1776

This 2500 Switchboard has three sections; 1st section is the feeder section where the incoming Conductors attach to the buss via terminal blocks (90c or 75c). The 2nd section is the 2500 main breaker section fed horizontally by the 1st section, then to the 3rd section which feeds a few 300 amp breakers then vertically to a 2000 amp breaker which feeds the riser buss.

The FP&L vault is about 65' away, there where 8 PVC conduits with 500 MCMs feeding under ground to the 2500 amp Switchboard. The feeders failed just about at the PVC 90's leaving the FP&L Vault. This as you can imagine caused a horrific Arc fault sending a plasma ball 65' down line into switchboard via the magnetic pulse produced during the event. In the main electrical room which is about 25' x 40'. The blast blew out the steel double louvered doors, blew the glass out of a vehicle driving by, blew out all double drywalls in the electrical room and stair case nocking over people exiting through that area, launched a fire hose cabinet that was flush mount in the block wall, sent steam and smoke debris through out electrical room and portions of the parking garage. Yet, there was little damage done to the FP&L vault where the event took place compared to the damage sustained in the electrical room.

To make a long story semi-short, I brought in an electrical engineer, we had a field conversation which led to replacing the 500's with 7 parallel 400 MCM THHN with all components rated at 90c we calculated over 2660 amps and the city gave us a permit with these calculations. Why did we pull only 7 runs and not 8??? Because 1 run was burnt into the PVC conduit and could not be removed ( we even tried a 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup to pull it out)

Now the insurance company's engineer want proof that all components are rated at 90C to achieve the 2500 amp rating, the reason for my initial question. These engineers did a week long power study on the building we brought on line. The highest ampere recording was 365 amps across all three phases.

We did what was deemed a temporary repair to the building to get all tenants back in. The equipment took a heavy blow and we are in negotiations in replace the Switchboard. I did have a Eaton sales Engineer in to propose a replacement cost. The Westinghouse archives are not available to anyone.....

I will try to upload some pictures. Second thought, I'm going to have to edit (large file size) these to post them here.

Thanks, Chas.

chas1776

Here are some of the pictures. All in all, I can tell you this;

I reached a new level of respect for electricity!

zog

Easy fix, this is what I do. Did your Eaton guy tell you how long the delivery schedule is?

Have you tested anything before replacing? I am thinking this is a much easier fix than you think.

chas1776

We already made the repairs. It took about 2 days to wash out the MDP with HP degreaser (same stuff used by FP&L on their medium voltage clean up) We had to replace the 2500 amp main and the 2000 amp breaker for the riser and all the feeders. Had to clean the ground fault system and test it. The explosion happened on a Wednesday, had power restored by Sunday afternoon, including finding and shipping breakers, permit fees, notices and inspections. Not bad considering the damaged sustained to the equipment. This is high end office building with large Corporations so time was of the essence.

As you all can see where the feeders terminate in the lugs mounted to the buss bar. There are no labels or embossing on the lugs, I'm trying to find out if they are rated 90c or 75C

Thanks, Chas.

templdl

Would NEC art 110, C, 1, a answer you question? The lugs would have to be rated for that.
The only other question would be the temperature rise of the bus that the lugs are mounted on.

Status
Not open for further replies.