Feeder question

Status
Not open for further replies.

laketime

One last time, from the meter to the panel for a single family dwelling, do you need a neutral wire? I have been told both ways by the AHJ. One guy says you need the neutral bonded to the ground at the meter and pulled with the ungrounded conductors to the house. The other says you just pull the ungrounded conductors from the meter with the grounding electrode conductor, then you "create" the grounded (neutral) conductor at the panel. What is the correct way?:-?

iwire

Staff member
WOW! Those other guys are really out to lunch.

If you plan on using equipment that needs a neutral you darn well better bring one into the panel from the source. (Actually if you want to use it or not it has to make it at least to the service disconnecting means)

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
What do they mean "create the neutral"? Are you sure they are not talking about an SDS or are you talking about detached building?

Roger

Npstewart

All the service arrangement books I have from my utility company has a neutral coming down from the drop and connecting to the neutral terminal on the line side, and on the load side of the meter, there is a neutral terminal as well, which goes to the panel along with the hot conductors.

iwire

Staff member
250.24(C) Grounded Conductor Brought to Service Equipment.
Where an ac system operating at less than 1000 volts
is grounded at any point, the grounded conductor(s) shall
be run to each service disconnecting means and shall be
connected to each disconnecting means grounded conductor(
s) terminal or bus. A main bonding jumper shall connect
the grounded conductor(s) to each service disconnecting
means enclosure. The grounded conductor(s) shall be installed
in accordance with 250.24(C)(1) through (C)(3).

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Thank you, I am not crazy:D
Not yet, but, stick around. ;)

The neutral in from the meter is not optional, at least to the service disconnect, which is where the electrodes are landed, and where the EGC system begins.

The meter, it has been said, is considered to be a lump in the service cable. All service equipment is bonded directly to the neutral, so no EGC is needed.

If the disco is at the meter, the load-side conductors are a feeder, and there should be a separate EGC from there to the separate panel (or panels.)

ozark01

Not yet, but, stick around. ;)

If the disco is at the meter, the load-side conductors are a feeder, and there should be a separate EGC from there to the separate panel (or panels.)

I agree with you but I can not find the code reference that states that there needs to be a seperate EGC. Can you point me to the correct code section? Thanks!

kwired

Electron manager
One last time, from the meter to the panel for a single family dwelling, do you need a neutral wire? I have been told both ways by the AHJ. One guy says you need the neutral bonded to the ground at the meter and pulled with the ungrounded conductors to the house. The other says you just pull the ungrounded conductors from the meter with the grounding electrode conductor, then you "create" the grounded (neutral) conductor at the panel. What is the correct way?:-?

What do they mean "create the neutral"? Are you sure they are not talking about an SDS or are you talking about detached building?

Roger

You do not create a grounded neutral conductor, that is already created by the POCO at their transformer. Once you are past the main bonding jumper at the service equipment you can no longer use the grounded conductor as an equipment grounding conductor - basically if it is intended to carry current during normal operation it must be separate from the grounding conductors that are not intended to carry current during normal operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.