120/208V Y system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electron_Sam78

Anyone come across a 120/208 system where the line voltage referenced to neutral or ground is 10 volts different (A phase 126 Volts, B phase 116)? Phase voltage is 213. Would this cause any problems for the loads attached?

iwire

Staff member
His words also say 120/208Y

It is entirely possible to be working on a single phase feeder or circuit from a 3 phase supply

Cold Fusion

IEEE 141 lists 2 phases of 208 with a neutral as "120/208Y-volt service" for single-phase, three-wire, open-wye applications.

3phase 4W is designated as 208/120.

I figured 120/208 refered to open Y single phase applications and 208/120 refered to 3phase y applications.

cf

iwire

Staff member
A couple of points

1)I think it is clear the OP is not familiar with IEEE standards

2)No electrical class or training I have ever received even mentioned the IEEE standards.

Electricians seem to get as much IEEE training as engineers get NEC training

Last edited:

Electron_Sam78

His words also say 120/208Y

It is entirely possible to be working on a single phase feeder or circuit from a 3 phase supply

Yep! The supply is a 3 phase Y system from the transformer but the subsystem I'm concerned with is fed with only two hot legs (single phase) and a neutral. I haven't had time to check the supply voltage at the 3 phase service panel yet to compare voltages, I'll do that next Monday. It was a call late on Friday that didn't justify overtime. Just thought I'd get some input from you guys before I continued with it.

Cold Fusion

A couple of points

1)I think it is clear the OP is not familiar with IEEE standards

2)No electrical class or training I have ever received even mentioned the IEEE standards.

Electricians seem to get as much IEEE training as engineers get NEC training

Bob -
I offered the IEEE reference to help with standard nomenclature. I figured a reference was better than pulling it out of my .... uh.. the air.

I really didn't have any interest is eliciting a demeaning response.

cf

dicklaxt

It has been my experience that when you see 208/120 as the secodary it is referencing a 3 phase system and when you see 120/208 as the secondary it is referencing a 1 phase system,,,,,,,,this is common place but could be the other way as well but would be the exception.

The primary could be just about about anything be it 1 or 3 phase but the best bet is to check with the manufacturer :D:)

dick

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

Actually it is not really an IEEE standard, although it can be found in the "Red Book". Voltages are per ANSI C84.1-2006 (see FPN for NEC definition of voltage system, nominal)

Status
Not open for further replies.