• No, wait and see if they notice

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Yes, point it out and ask if it's ok

Votes: 59 95.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mcclary's electrical

Assume you were contacted by an old friend you went to school with. He found you through advertising and you have not seen him in 20 years. You visit his million dollar home, get the job, perform job, and your help has a goof up. While attempting to drill into the bottom of a wall from the basement, he misses the wall and drills a 3/8" hole right through the hardwood floor. You patch hole with expoxy and colored wood filler and both convince your self it's not noticable. Do you point it out to the homeowner?

dicklaxt

I would if he has a million dollar home he probably will laugh it off waiting to see if his wife spots it,if she does then both of you are in trouble....:)

A really good floor man could replace the damaged board and match the finish.

dick

mcclary's electrical

Was there a couch there before? Can you move one on top of it???? (lol)

It came out in between the two sides of the door frame. He measured 2'6 from the corner upstairs, went downstairs and drilled at 3'6:confused:, so insted of coming in the wall under the switch, he came out in the floor:mad:

satcom

We went thru a situation like that many years ago, and what we learned was

1 Make it right by the customer, whatever it takes, flooring professional would be my first choice.

2 We learned to never let a helper do any work, that required some skills or experience.

electricmanscott

1 Make it right by the customer, whatever it takes, flooring professional would be my first choice.

2 We learned to never let a helper do any work, that required some skills or experience.

I agree with #1 completely

#2 Is just silly

B4T

I always use a 1/16" X 6" bit to drill through the floor in a seam and measure to center of wall.

If I missed, I would definitely tell the HO I screwed up

satcom

I agree with #1 completely

#2 Is just silly

Not silly at all, we use only guys, that are enrolled in the approved state labor department program, and then only let them do the work they are qualified to do, at their level of training, and experience they gained from working with one of our qualified experienced electricians, general helpers are fine for running for material, or moving material, but not any of the skilled work.

knoppdude

I would tell them, and pay to have it fixed by a professional if they wanted it back to original. Honesty pays in the long run, even if not in the short run. The customer might decide that if you are honest about your screw up, and willing to fix it, then you may be worthy of a second job, or to recommend.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Not silly at all, we use only guys, that are enrolled in the approved state labor department program, and then only let them do the work they are qualified to do, at their level of training, and experience they gained from working with one of our qualified experienced electricians, general helpers are fine for running for material, or moving material, but not any of the skilled work.

Drilling a hole through a floor doesn't take much skill IMO. He made a simple mistake, it happens. Sometimes I accidentally bend conduit to the wrong measurement, that doesn't mean I'm not skilled at bending conduit.

growler

Assume you were contacted by an old friend you went to school with. Do you point it out to the homeowner?

Well old buddy it looks like you have a hole in your floor, good thing we noticed it, have you had any plumbers in the house lately? They are never as careful as they should be. :D

The truth is I would probably just tell him about it and offer to repair it. If he say to forget about it then take a bit off the bill or throw something in.

He may not be a picky sort but then again his wife may be. You have to play this sort of thing by ear. A free receptacle or switch may get you out of it or it may not.

dj94

tell them

tell them

tell them.

eth?ics  [eth-iks]

( usually used with a singular verb ) that branch of philosophy dealing with values relating to human conduct, with respect to the rightness and wrongness of certain actions and to the goodness and badness of the motives and ends of such actions.

Riograndeelectric

it happened to me once. I notified the General contractor and Homeowner. I told GC to do what ever it takes to make repairs right and Home owner happy.

it sucks though having to pay the cost of repairs and takes a bite out of the Job profits.

I could not sleep at night if I goofed and tried to cover it up. I would not want the same type of service provided at my home.

electricmanscott

Drilling a hole through a floor doesn't take much skill IMO. He made a simple mistake, it happens. Sometimes I accidentally bend conduit to the wrong measurement, that doesn't mean I'm not skilled at bending conduit.

That's what I was getting at. Everybody screws up from time to time regardless of how "skilled" you are. I'd put some helpers up against some of the licensed guys I know any day.

iwire

Staff member

More bad luck for you huh? :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.