Best way to terminate stranded wire on screw terminals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Reverse twisting of the strands. That way the friction from turning the screw actually pulls the strands tighter into the twist.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Have you tried twisting your wire in the other direction prior to making the hook and putting it under the screw?
If they made devices with left-handed screw terminals, the 'normal' right-hand strand twist would work great. :cool:

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Have a roll of 12/2 romex on hand, and pigtail w/ solid. Yes, you can make a good wrap around with stranded, but many don't take the time to do so.

Actually, this is one of the more common failures I find (loose terminals on receptacles wired w/ stranded)
Solid isn't always a panacea, either. If a screw isn't tightened enough, stuffing the device into the box can loosen it a bit if the wire is bent in the "lefty-loosy" direction.

I don't use a torque driver, but I do make sure I 'finesse' a screw 'tight enough' that it's going to stay tight and cool for a long time without damaging the screw or wire.

Ruff-N

Solid isn't always a panacea, either.

pan?a?ce?a   /ˌp?nəˈsiə/
?noun
1. a remedy for all disease or ills; cure-all.
2. an answer or solution for all problems or difficulties: His economic philosophy is a good one, but he tries to use it as a panacea.

Nice use of the English language. I will use this word when my wife asks for the check and questions the purchase of a new fishing rod. "Baby money is not everything, so quit trying to us it as a PANACEA! :grin:

jusme123

Occupation
JW
pan?a?ce?a   /ˌp?nəˈsiə/
?noun
2. an answer or solution for all problems or difficulties: His economic philosophy is a good one, but he tries to use it as a panacea.

Nice use of the English language. I will use this word when my wife asks for the check and questions the purchase of a new fishing rod. "Baby money is not everything, so quit trying to us it as a PANACEA! :grin:

good luck with that!:)

glene77is

I don't use a torque driver, but I do make sure I 'finesse' a screw 'tight enough' that it's going to stay tight and cool for a long time without damaging the screw or wire.

When I was a young apprentice (1958), I worked with an Italian man.
We had contest one day about who could twist the heads of the most 1" PHSMS.
We stood on a ladder and put them into an overhead joist. Not too many, tough!
This was not 'finesse', but I understand you mean an extra 1/4 turn.

Have you noticed that you can 'apply' more torque with a flat blade,
than with a phillips blade ?
I am sure you have noticed that the Robertson (Square) point is pretty good for applying max torque, and sustains contact even if off angled slightly.

Have you measured the available torque from your best hand ?
I had Amish friends when I was young, who had hands the size of my feet,
so I am not bragging much when I say that I was able to produce a 40 inch-pound torque on a measuring machine (when I was younger). That torque is about 3 times the recommended for an 8-32 machine screw used on the recepticals.
Well, I thought that was interesting. A built-in torque estimating gauge.

It's the middle of the night. Got to stop this chatter. :)

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Have you noticed that you can 'apply' more torque with a flat blade, than with a phillips blade ?
Absolutely. I use a large Snap-on flat-blade screwdriver for larger terminals, like slotted-head panel and disconnect lug screws.
I am sure you have noticed that the Robertson (Square) point is pretty good for applying max torque, and sustains contact even if off angled slightly.
Absolutlely, again. S-2 for breakers, panel bus screws, and EMT/MC S/S fittings, and S-1 for device terminals and mounting screws.
Have you measured the available torque from your best hand ?
No, but I can hold a drill in one hand, with my arm straight out, and bore through several layers of solid wood framing with a 1" auger.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
020.jpg
I have no problem duplicating this using needle-nosed pliers to pinch the loop while tightening the screw.

wdemos

What is the best way to terminate stranded wire on screw terminals (e.g., switches and receptacles). What I usually see is the wire is partially stripped, leaving a small piece of insulation on the end of the wire to keep the strands together. But what I also often see is the little piece of insulation becomes missing and then there are bare strands of unraveling wire sticking out from the screw.

I prefer switches and receptacles with pressure-plate connections and I will buy those for new installations or replacements. But for old wiring when there are only screw terminal connections, what do you recommend?

No doubt about it, for that neat, toasty professional look I'd go with cadweld.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
pan?a?ce?a   /ˌp?nəˈsiə/
?noun

For "fishing" wires dear. DUH!

Status
Not open for further replies.