How to tackle warranty in this situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
There is some missing information: when GC thought A wasn't keeping up, why didn't they agree for A to either hire more help or sub some of the work to B? I've been in similiar situations as B, sometimes it worked out fine, the times it turned into a nightmare it was ok when I woke up (or did 2 more jobs to pay for the losses on the job that went bad).

satcom

There is some missing information: when GC thought A wasn't keeping up, why didn't they agree for A to either hire more help or sub some of the work to B? I've been in similiar situations as B, sometimes it worked out fine, the times it turned into a nightmare it was ok when I woke up (or did 2 more jobs to pay for the losses on the job that went bad).

Sounds like the first EC was working without a contract, and most likely not getting his money, so the GC is trying to find some fish to come in, and work to finish the work, and if the GC has no funds, neither guy will get paid.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
In VA, the job is not "officially" considered abandoned until I don't show up for 30 days. So.....if inside of that 30 days, another contractor touches my work, he just bought it

You are telling me hat in VA a sub can just not show up, and the GC has no recourse until he has been missing for 30 days? That makes no sense at all.

Perhaps that is only the case if there is no explicit arrangement made in the contract??

In any case, I suspect that there is not enough information in this thread about the actual situation to make a judgment. From the OP, it appears like A might not be staffed up enough to meet the schedule. What we don't now is why that might be, or what schedule he agreed to.

Last edited:

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I worked 1 similar kind of job, was a supermarket. EC A had gone bankrupt. EC B took over on a T/M basis. I worked for EC C, that B had hired to help out. Almost no wire had been pulled, about 75% of counduits had been run. Some were good, some went nowhere, some stubups were buried in concrete, etc. In this case, B fixed all the problems along the way, as he had to to complete the job. Of course, with A out of business, warranty was on B. From conversations, I gathered if some work had been completed, they would carefully inspect and test as much as possible before committing to warranty coverage on that portion.

EC B was one of the better co.'s in our region, had lots of good mechanics. Their foreman was top notch, always knew what to do. 2 other EC's also had guys there. Best example I ever saw of guys who didn't all know each other working hard to fix a job and make it good.

480sparky

You are telling me hat in VA a sub can just not show up, and the GC has no recourse until he has been missing for 30 days? That makes no sense at all...............

Contracts of any size, even $100,000 jobs, will have language in them pertaining to a subs perceived inability to finish the job. More than once, I've been called in to either help finish someone else's job, or to finish it altogether.

The 30-day 'official' benchmark could be a legal precedence that may mean the GC doesn't have to pay the original sub.

ty

Who's name is on the inspection application?

Did 'A' have an inspection on 'A's work, and 'B' an in spection on 'B's work? Or did 'B' cover he entire job?

if 'B' covered the entire job, then 'B' should have looked at everything 'A' completed, and made any changes to meet 'B's standards.

Typically, (regardless of what the contract says), the last one on the site is the first one to get a call when there is a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.