Landscape lights near pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinZip

Glene77,

In this fountain I'm talking about yes the LV fixtures do have a bare # 8 bonding conductor, they are brass fixtures an have to be bonded to the grid because the water circulates from the pool to the fountain an back into the pool which now make's those fixtures part of the pool , with that said the #8 bonding conductor an the cord are long enough to remove the LV fixture for re lamping BTW the fountain is 4 ft 6 in deep , now back to the original question.

Let's say the # 8 bonding conductor was long enough to remove the fixtures ( cord's an bonding conductor } an place them on the concrete walk way ( out side of the fountain ) to light up the outer walls of the fountain , at that point your NOT code compliant but then place them right back in the fountain and you ARE code compliant.

I don't know how much clearer i can explain it , baffling!

Anyone want to chime in on post above.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
So we cannot have a 12V light that is 5' from the inside edge of the pool however we can have a 12V light in the pool. :grin:

I want to retract my comment on line voltage with integral transformer being allowed 5' from the pool. I say NO since there is still a load side that is not GFCI protected-- I didn't think about that. :)

M. D.

So we cannot have a 12V light that is 5' from the inside edge of the pool however we can have a 12V light in the pool. :grin:

I want to retract my comment on line voltage with integral transformer being allowed 5' from the pool. I say NO since there is still a load side that is not GFCI protected-- I didn't think about that. :)

I'm not so sure .. Given what Mr. Ode had to say,. I've also seen this language expressed more than once..I had to scroll way down to see the text.
http://ecmweb.com/mag/electric_understanding_basics_lowvoltage/

A requirement in 411.4(2) defers to Art. 680 on the use of lighting within 10 feet of a pool, spa, or fountain. This type of lighting operates on Class 2 power-limited circuits evaluated for wet-contact applications.

WinZip

Dennis,

Can you comment on this set up posted below , in the fountain it's OK , outside the fountain is not legal , It's really frying my brain now LOL

In this fountain I'm talking about yes the LV fixtures do have a bare # 8 bonding conductor, they are brass fixtures an have to be bonded to the grid because the water circulates from the pool to the fountain an back into the pool which now make's those fixtures part of the pool , with that said the #8 bonding conductor an the cord are long enough to remove the LV fixture for re lamping BTW the fountain is 4 ft 6 in deep , now back to the original question.

Let's say the # 8 bonding conductor was long enough to remove the fixtures ( cord's an bonding conductor } an place them on the concrete walk way ( out side of the fountain ) to light up the outer walls of the fountain , at that point your NOT code compliant but then place them right back in the fountain and you ARE code compliant.

I don't know how much clearer i can explain it , baffling!

Status
Not open for further replies.