300.5e

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJWalecka

300.5E applies to metal corrugated sheet roof decking.

Some old buildings have wooden planks to support the roof.

Reading 300.5E it?s ok to mount directly to the wood structure yet you have to remain a 1 ? below a metal decking.? Am I reading it wrong?

I understand the theory that sheet metal roofing could be changed periodically and I agree with 300.5E. I?m just curious why an old wooden structure is ok to mount to

cpal

Justin
your ref should be 300.4 E

But thats not inportant.

Right now there are a half dozen on here writting proposals for the 2014 to include all decking.

Actually if I recall the submitter (s) did not provide any (or much history )of failure due to roofing screws penetrating the wiring methods.

M. D.

I think it is because of the fact that the decking is corrugated ,. the screws have to be long enough to reach to the farthest point . With a wood deck the surface is flat and there is no need for a screw to have to be long enough to penetrate the deck .

M. D.

From the 2007 ROC , I now think:) it has to do with the the installation standards ,. I would guess wind related ? I doubt the standard would be the same for a wooden deck...

....The waterproofing and insulating material above conventional metal corrugated
sheeting is the element of repair or replacement. Roofing material
manufacturer?s installation standards mandate a self tapping deck screw to
penetrate the underside of the corrugated steel decking by at least 1 inch and up to 1 1/4 inches....

Status
Not open for further replies.