seu exposed

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetlag

Is it ok to run seu cable exposed in a light commercial building to sub panel ? It is my own building rented out for night club use. Most of the cable will be above a drop ceiling except where it drops down on each end to panel and subpanel. The rest of the building is in conduit but I never knew before if all commercial had to be conduit.

raider1

Staff member
SE cable ran as interior wiring must comply with Part II of Article 334. (See 338.10(B)(4)(a))

334.10(3) requires that the cable be concealed within walls floor or ceilings that provide a thermal barrier of material that has at least a 15-minute finish rating.

Also 334.12(A)(2) prohibits the cable from being run exposed in dropped or suspended ceilings.

So you could not run the SEU cable exposed or above a suspended ceiling in a commercial building.

Chris

hurk27

You might also want to check out 518 in the NEC and see if your night club meets the definition of Places of Assembly, many will, or if you have a stage(518.2(C) )

If this is the case you will fine many cables that are not allowed, this doesn't mean the whole building follows under this rule, but for the most part, most of it will. the 100 person rule is generally the set capacity that the fire marshal sets for the building occupancy limit, if this is over 100 then the rule applies, or if there is a stage.

jetlag

Just hit me: SEU to a sub panel??? you need 4 conductors H+H+N+G

yes it is 4 conductor, I guess that is SE. The reason for SE is I can save about 50 ft of run if I let the conductor go outside for 10 ft from one part of builing to another and fasten it to an existing conduit . I know the se can run exposed outside. It is strange why the SE cant be exposed inside but n m can be exposed.

jetlag

I guess I should have worded this different and asked if there was any thing i could use besides running conduit. The cable would come out top of panel on masonry wall . Cross over a space overhead outside where a conduit crosses to other part of building , go inside and down to 100 a subpanel.

Status
Not open for further replies.