Can you identify this cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

11Haze29

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
On a residential home, I came across a cable sticking through the brickface (just dangling). Its wired to a 2 pole 40A inside (off position). The odd thing is the cable itself. Its 3 conduction #6 with a #6 bare ground, and two of the insulated conductors are white in color and the other insulated conductor is black. I've never seen a cable with two whites and one black. Insulation looks like THN and the outer sheath looks like the PVC that covers Romex.

Any ideas of what this cable may have been used for.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

kwired

Electron manager
Could it be a cable intended for use in some other country? Not that I know much about practices in other places but it is something to consider.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
My guess it is a piece of 6/3 nm with ground and the red wire lost its color from the weather.?????
I agree with this thought. Most likely the case. Do you have a chance to skin it back an inch? Might tell the whole story.

TOOL_5150

My guess it is a piece of 6/3 nm with ground and the red wire lost its color from the weather.?????

I often see this at the weatherhead, when colored conductors are used. Seems black has the best stability, white and red coated conductors' insulation are often way worse as far as cracking then the black.

On that same thought, I wonder if the newer colored thhn, sizes greater than #6 are rated for direct sunlight, like the black thhn is.

~Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.