Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Can you post that? I'm on '05 it.'s not there

Here you go.

210.25 Branch Circuits in Buildings with More Than One Occupancy.
(A) Dwelling Unit Branch Circuits.
Branch circuits in each dwelling unit shall supply only loads within that dwelling unit or loads associated only with that dwelling unit.

(B) Common Area Branch Circuits. Branch circuits required for the purpose of lighting, central alarm, signal, communications, or other needs for public or common areas of a two-family dwelling, a multifamily dwelling, or a multi-occupancy building shall not be supplied from equipment that supplies an individual dwelling unit or tenant space.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Can you post that? I'm on '05 it.'s not there

In the 05 it was actualy all of 210.25, there was no (A) or (B)

210.25 Common Area Branch Circuits
Branch circuits in dwelling units shall supply only loads within that dwelling unit or loads associated only with that dwelling unit. Branch circuits required for the purpose of lighting, central alarm, signal, communications, or other needs for public or common areas of a two-family or multifamily dwelling shall not be supplied from equipment that supplies an individual dwelling unit.

Roger

hardworkingstiff

Getting a bit technical here, but it looks like those articles are just saying you can't have a branch circuit supplying two different dwellings, but it doesn't seem to prevent one panel feeding individual branch circuits to different dwellings so long as each branch circuit only serves the one dwelling.

I have no idea why someone would want to do that, but it seems it is allowed.

Comments?

mcclary's electrical

Getting a bit technical here, but it looks like those articles are just saying you can't have a branch circuit supplying two different dwellings, but it doesn't seem to prevent one panel feeding individual branch circuits to different dwellings so long as each branch circuit only serves the one dwelling.

I have no idea why someone would want to do that, but it seems it is allowed.

Comments?

"or loads associated with that unit"

pretty much shoots that down

hardworkingstiff

"or loads associated with that unit"

Branch circuits in dwelling units shall supply only loads within that dwelling unit or loads associated only with that dwelling unit.

I don't see how this statement forces one to install an individual service for each dwelling unit, it just says you can't supply loads within or loads associated with different units from the same branch circuit.

Just call me Jim from FL. :grin:

Again, I don't know why anyone would want to do it (unless the landlord was willing to pay for all the electricity).

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I don't see how this statement forces one to install an individual service for each dwelling unit, it just says you can't supply loads within or loads associated with different units from the same branch circuit.

If you had a panel in dwelling unit A, and ran a 20A branch circuit to dwelling unit B where it connected to receptacles in only unit B, you would have a branch circuit in A which is supplying load in B. That would be a violation.

hardworkingstiff

If you had a panel in dwelling unit A, and ran a 20A branch circuit to dwelling unit B where it connected to receptacles in only unit B, you would have a branch circuit in A which is supplying load in B. That would be a violation.

Yes it would, but what if the panel was on the outside of the building? I'm not trying to argue that you can do this, I'm just saying that this particular article does not prohibit it. I do believe there are other restrictions that won't allow it to be done, just not this article.

pfalcon

Again, I don't know why anyone would want to do it (unless the landlord was willing to pay for all the electricity).

If you convert an old large house to multi-family then you include the electrical in the rent to avoid massive rewiring costs.

The section does not prohibit the presence of circuit B in unit A. It only prohibits the use of circuit B in unit A. The panel can be common as long as the individual branch circuits are dedicated to only one unit per circuit.

The part that says common power shall not be supplied from a common point bothers me. That seems to imply an extra meter in a multi-family residence even if the heat and air are common to the whole building.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Yes it would, but what if the panel was on the outside of the building? I'm not trying to argue that you can do this, I'm just saying that this particular article does not prohibit it. I do believe there are other restrictions that won't allow it to be done, just not this article.

A panel outside the building would be fine, or maybe two dwelling units with a common corridor that had a panel in the corridor serving both dwelling units. These situations wouldn't violate 210.25, though as you say, it might violate other articles.

But a circuit from a panel in unit A feeding load in unit B would be a violation of 210.25. I would think even a branch circuit which comes from a panel in A, is routed into unit B and then back into A where it feeds receptacle outlets would be a violation because you would have a branch circuit "in" B which serves load "in" A.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
The section does not prohibit the presence of circuit B in unit A. It only prohibits the use of circuit B in unit A.

I disagree. It says that a branch circuit "in" each dwelling unit shall supply loads "in" that dwelling unit or associated with that dwelling unit. If a branch circuit serves load in B, then it is prohibited from being present in A.

The panel can be common as long as the individual branch circuits are dedicated to only one unit per circuit.

The panel can be common if it is located in a common space, and the branch circuits are dedicated to each unit. You can't have a common panel in unit A with dedicated circuits for A and B. That would violate 210.25.

480sparky

Read it again:

210.25 Branch Circuits in Buildings with More Than One Occupancy.
(A) Dwelling Unit Branch Circuits. Branch circuits in each dwelling unit shall supply only loads within that dwelling unit or loads associated only with that dwelling unit.

A circuit for unit A can be run through unit B. It's presence is not prohibited. It can supply only loads in unit A.

Status
Not open for further replies.