210.8 (a)(7) laundry recepticles

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrcanby

I've read alot of threads of this nature, i have recently been inspected for a rough electric and this local inspector say's i need a gfi for the washer. I have no sink in the laundry room, my question is: 210.8 (a)(7) says : Laundry,utility,and wet bar sinks within 6' of sink. must be gfci protected.

Shall i assume this is stating that all 120v recepticles in the laundry room- utility must be gfi protected regard less of the distance to a sink (if sink is present at all). Or only with in 6' of a sink?

I've always just used a simplex device for washer when ever a sink wasn't present, now after rereading 210.8 I interpret it much different..
Am i interpriting this wrong or is a simplex recepticle fine for the washer?

Are the Laundry, Utility, Wetbar sink 3 different examples, or does the 6'ft distance pertain to laundry,utility?

MR. S

Is the laundry room in an area like an unfinished basement where you would normaly need a GFI? You would need a GFI if it were a duplex recepticle, use a single recepticle no GFI would be needed.

mrcanby

Is the laundry room in an area like an unfinished basement where you would normaly need a GFI? You would need a GFI if it were a duplex recepticle, use a single recepticle no GFI would be needed.
the laundry is on the main level and I always use a simplex recepticle if there's no sink. but this guy says i need gfi, I told him i would use a simplex recepticle and he said NO. Use gfci....ugh... i guess its just extra protection for the washer lid open...

Last edited:

nhfire77

A bit off topic, not too far: If you had a duplex outlet installed, but if you severed the break away tabs would that satisfy the use of simplex, dedicated receptacle.

I've wondered that for a while, what if you didn't have a single outlet in your truck, and since its behind the washer and most likely out site, it wouldn't be a hindrance. I realize the right way is to come back but....

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Why would a single receptacle not need a gfci protection within 6' of the snk? There is nothing in the NEC that exempts single recep.

mrcanby

Why would a single receptacle not need a gfci protection within 6' of the snk? There is nothing in the NEC that exempts single recep.
considered a means of disconect.

there is no sink in the laundry room, a simplex recepticle would be used (if no sink is present) as a means of disconect.

Last edited:

raider1

Staff member
considered a means of disconect.

there is no sink in the laundry room, a simplex recepticle would be used (if no sink is present) as a means of disconect.

You could also use a duplex receptacle for the same purpose and be code compliant and save some money.:)

Chris

raider1

Staff member
how can i resolve this matter without the situation getting heated and me not installing the gfci...clearly he interprits this differently..

I can't see how 210.8(A)(7) can be interpreted to require GFCI protection for a washing machine receptacle that is not located within 6' of a laundry sink.:confused:

If there is a laundry sink ANY 120 volt 15 or 20 amp receptacle within 6' from the edge of the sink must be GFCI protected, no exceptions.

Chris

construct

how can i resolve this matter without the situation getting heated and me not installing the gfci...clearly he interprits this differently..

You could ask him to show you the wording in the code that requires it. Or maybe talk to his supervisor. Or a Building Board of Appeals which seems like a huge process for such a small issue.:roll:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You could also use a duplex receptacle for the same purpose and be code compliant and save some money.:)
Yeah, what's up with that? Why is a single more expensive? :mad: (Yes, I know why.)

Why does a double cheeseburger cost more than two cheeseburgers? (It used to.)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Nothing requires GFCI protection for the receptacle required in 210.52(F). 210.8(A)(7) might have come into play, if there were a nearby sink, which there is not. 210.8(A)(5) might have come into play, if the laundry were in an unfinished basement, which it is not. So no GFCI is needed, period.

The receptacle outlet being simplex or duplex is irrelevant. The disconnecting means is the plug, not the outlet.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
UNfinished basement, no sink within 6', that's what I was getting at.
If it is an ufinished basement then a single receptacle would not be compliant unless it is fed thru a GFCI circuit. All 125V rec. in an unfinished basement must be GFCI protected--

Status
Not open for further replies.