Laundry room outlet GFCI protected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

I've never seen it, but I better ask. Outlet for a stacked washer/dryer. Does it need to be GFCI protected? No sink anywhere. Thank you for your help.

kwired

Electron manager
There is another thread currently having this discussion.

If 2008 is the code you are following and there is no sink within 6 feet and you are not in an unfinished basement, a bathroom, a garage, or outdoors then no GFCI protection is required.

I've never seen it, but I better ask. Outlet for a stacked washer/dryer. Does it need to be GFCI protected? No sink anywhere. Thank you for your help.

Perhaps I should have said "what does the unit require?"

Many are a single 230v/30amp/4 wire, but as noted, some may be separate circuits. Find out the specs.

And, as I stated on another thread (as have many others), what's the big deal about supplying a $12 GFCI outlet? I'll go toe-to-toe with an inspector if it's a large problem, but on little ones like this, I've found it best to pick my battles.

Split Bolt

20 amp receptacles cost more than 69 cents. There is one jurisdiction here that makes you use 20 amp duplex receptacles on laundry, microwave or refrigerator circuits where there is only 1 receptacle. I have argued with them MANY times over the years about the fine print note (FPN) mentioned in the NEC. 210.21 (B) (1) {2005 NEC} and pointed out that a duplex receptacle is not a single receptacle by code. After years of arguing, I found it was easier to just use 20A duplex receptacles. Now, I use them on ALL of the 20 amp circuits. That makes me look good compared to other guys! After all, it is the right thing to do!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Virginia is for lovers not electricians..:) I think that there are many ec'c and inspectors who have made this same mistake or misinterpretation.

Status
Not open for further replies.