12V Motor Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

mc123

Hi,

I have a Leeson 12 VDC, 1/3 HP, 1750 RPM, Model# 108046.00 motor. The motor's full load current is 27A. I have a 12V, 33.3A power supply that I would like to run the motor with. The problem is, however, the motor won't start with the power supply. I can get the motor to run with a car battery, but when I hook it up to the power supply, all it does is hiccup a little.

I am guessing that the starting current draw for the motor is well over the full load current of 27A. Is there any way to bypass this needed starting current - possibly using a capacitor? Basically, I would like to be able to run this motor without spending $300 - $400 on a new Leeson motor controller.

Thanks,
Mark

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Mark, you could always use the battery as a super capacitor to provide starting current, and then recharge after the motor is running.

Besoeker

Hi,

I have a Leeson 12 VDC, 1/3 HP, 1750 RPM, Model# 108046.00 motor. The motor's full load current is 27A. I have a 12V, 33.3A power supply that I would like to run the motor with. The problem is, however, the motor won't start with the power supply. I can get the motor to run with a car battery, but when I hook it up to the power supply, all it does is hiccup a little.

I am guessing that the starting current draw for the motor is well over the full load current of 27A. Is there any way to bypass this needed starting current - possibly using a capacitor? Basically, I would like to be able to run this motor without spending $300 - $400 on a new Leeson motor controller.

Thanks,
Mark
Yes, the starting current for a DC motor is many times rated current.
A capacitor won't help.
A series resistor or a number of them that you progressively short out as the motor runs up is a conventional way of doing this.

Besoeker

Mark, you could always use the battery as a super capacitor to provide starting current, and then recharge after the motor is running.
I did think about that too. It would work provided the voltage drop wasn't too much. It sounds like the PSU Mark is trying to use has a current fold back characteristic rather than a linear current limit.

gar

Occupation
EE
100629-1545 EST

mc123:

I have to assume you have permanent magnet brush type motor. On this assumption I would expect that maybe 10% of rated current would be sufficient to overcome friction of an unloaded motor, and it may rotate with possibly much less than 10% of rated voltage.

If there is any mechanical load on the motor, such as a gear box, then more input power is required.

I seriously doubt your DC power supply is really a 12 V 33 A unit. How big and how heavy is the power supply? At 12 V and 33 A you have a 400 W supply and I might expect a transformer type to weigh maybe 15 to 30 #.

A servo motor I have will just overcome static friction at 0.3 A. This is about a 1/2 to 1 HP continuous duty unit. I believe it is about a 180 V device. Scaling this to 12 V puts us in the ballpark of 4 to 5 A to overcome friction for your motor. 1.5 volts on my motor armature is adequate to cause rotation. So the motor internal resistance is less than 1.5/.3 or 4.5 ohms.

Put a voltmeter across your motor when connected to your power supply. What is the voltage? If less than a 0.1 V, then the power supply is current limiting. If you have access to a 0.01 ohm resistor, then put it in series with the motor and measure the voltage drop across this resistor to determine your current flow. #12 copper wire is 1.6 ohms per 1000 ft. You can make an adequate resistor with 0.01*1000/1.6 = 6.25 ft of #12 copper wire.

If you really had anything like 30 A thru this copper wire it would warm substantially and you would get a measurement error. But this error would be of no consequence relative to your need.

dicklaxt

Did you try to start it direct across the battery the second time after the PS wouldn't push it,,,,,,,,,,you may have smoked it on the first try without a current limiter of some kind........hope not, good luck

dick

Status
Not open for further replies.