combining grounds in panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftershock

is there a code article that prohibits me from combining grounds from different circuits then landing onto the ground bar with 1 wire when needed because they wont reach the bar?

nhfire77

is there a code article that prohibits me from combining grounds from different circuits then landing onto the ground bar with 1 wire when needed because they wont reach the bar?

Why don't you just extend the short ground to the bar?

Volta

Nope, that's fine. Just use the largest size needed (#10 jumper for connecting a #14, #12, and #10 EGC is ok, for instance).

aftershock

this is a meter put back that i am going on. it was turned down because of grounds combined apparently after a panel upgrade they did not treach the bar

aftershock

Turned down based on what code reference?

insp. did not give a ref. nor was he here when i came to correct it. I figured there was nothing to prohibit this but figured i would ask just in case. i went ahead and extended all 5 grounds idividually to the ground bar. i do hope my boss follows up on this to find why it was turned down with no ref. to code

grammer mistakes due to typing from a cell phone

480sparky

insp. did not give a ref. nor was he here when i came to correct it. I figured there was nothing to prohibit this but figured i would ask just in case. i went ahead and extended all 5 grounds idividually to the ground bar. i do hope my boss follows up on this to find why it was turned down with no ref. to code

grammer mistakes due to typing from a cell phone

I would ask for a code reference before I spent any more time on the issue.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
it was turned down because of grounds combined apparently after a panel upgrade they did not treach the bar
He was absolutely incorrect.

If one uses an existing panel enclosure as a J-box to extend old circuits to a new panel, a single conductor sized adequately for the largest circuit will suffice.

For example, if the largest cable in the old box is a #6cu NM, a single #10 cu conductor would suffice for bonding the enclosure and the entire group of circuits.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
He cannot show the code so why not show him one. Not exactly the same however it should get the point across.

250.122(C) Multiple Circuits. Where a single equipment grounding conductor is run with multiple circuits in the same raceway, cable, or cable tray, it shall be sized for the largest overcurrent device protecting conductors in the raceway, cable, or cable tray. Equipment grounding conductors installed in cable trays shall meet the minimum requirements of 392.3(B)(1)(c).

Smart $

Esteemed Member

For example, if the largest cable in the old box is a #6cu NM, a single #10 cu conductor would suffice for bonding the enclosure and the entire group of circuits.
"Would" should be "may", as EGC sizing is based on OCPD rating. What if on a motor circuit with a 250% rated OCPD? What if the #6 is upsized for voltage drop, connected to a 30A OCPD? A #6 may be required.

Jim W in Tampa

This is just another case of an untrained ,under qualified inspector. I would call him down on this. Being you were there anyways it was wise to do as you did. As electricians we must speak up on wrong calls. This can be handled nicely and most will back down if you push for a code number. He very likely believes he was correct.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
"Would" should be "may", as EGC sizing is based on OCPD rating. What if on a motor circuit with a 250% rated OCPD? What if the #6 is upsized for voltage drop, connected to a 30A OCPD? A #6 may be required.
Whatever! :roll: :)grin:)

Status
Not open for further replies.