Combining Meters

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfav8r

We have a client that wants to combine meters for billing purposes. They have 6 meters and want to combine them onto one. I was thinking/hoping that we could just put a tap on each of the existing lines and add them together onto one meter, but I don't actually know of a meter that will accumulate from 6 inputs. any suggestions? There is a picture of the service below. I mentioned some large numbers to the client and they feel that with the upcoming changes in billing, it will still be worth the expense.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I only see 5 meters there. If all 6 are in the same gear, I would consider CT's on the incoming service conductors.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
As Chris says, it certainly looks like a CT situation. Since the meters are in the gear I would check with the gear manufacturer.
Prior to that, I would check with POCO. In some situations locally, on large multi-metered services they already have a CT "check" meter in line.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I only see 5 meters there. If all 6 are in the same gear, I would consider CT's on the incoming service conductors.

Looks like 6 at the end and 2 more in the fore ground total 8 meters. Non the less, CT's is the only way to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.