Intermatic Timer Light Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npstewart

I installed a timer for my exterior lights a while back (See Picture). I have 3 exterior wall sconces all compact fluorescent bulbs in them. My problem is that when they are on they all flicker together, its a very very fast single flicker but very noticable, and it does it every 10 seconds or so.

Since its rainy season down here in Florida (AKA Bug season) ive been turning the lights off at night manually to cut down on the the bugs nesting on my porch. I noticed that the lights rather then turning off, flicker on but extremely dim. Almost like when you dim a compact fluorescent bulb with a dimmer all the way down.

My question is, is this common with these intermatic timers, or do you think its a wiring problem? I have no idea how these switches work because unlike a normal switch where it breaks the current path, these switches just sit there and turn off when its time. Perhaps there is a mechanism in there that moves to break the current path, and maybe it is not moving enough?

Any opinions would be helpful as I will be fixing it this weekend

PS. See photo attached of the timer

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My question is, is this common with these intermatic timers, or do you think its a wiring problem?
It's the timer. I've installed several, and they don't play well with CFL's.

Your choices are live with it, use incandescents, or adding a small relay.

Npstewart

I appreciate that. So your saying if I replace this with an incandescent bulb, the timer would be OK? I think your right because I have another timer next to it that for my porch hanging light which has regular candelabra bulbs.

Its kind of funny though if you think about it. I bought the timers to save money on my bill so the bulbs wouldn't burn all day. But it order for the timers to work, I have to use a extremely inefficient light bulb instead of a CFL. So basically I would probably save more money if I had a regular light switch, and let the CFLs burn all day :)

I will end up buying the better timer for the CFLs though just because they last longer. The one timer was $25.00 though!

Article 90.1

NPS,

A lot of those timers use the neutral connection as a reference for part of the electronic timing circuit. I install maybe 2 of the timers you installed each year and it takes me longer to program the darn thing than to do anything else. Well, maybe it takes a little while to remove it from its blister packaging!

kwired

Electron manager
I am a bigger fan of using photo cell to control all exterior lighting and wall switches in the usual locations to be able to turn off some or all exterior lights if desired. Leave the switch on and you have automatic security lighting every night. Replace the wall switch with a dimmer if desired.

I like to do this on new construction, existing of course you have to deal with what is there sometimes.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I am a bigger fan of using photo cell to control all exterior lighting . . .
As a generalization, I agree. It's not always the same darkness outside at the same time every day, even with solar-calandar control (or whatever it's called.) Then there are bad storms and eclipses.

wireguru

triac based devices leak enough current to charge the caps in the CFL ballast which causes wierd stuff to happen when its off. Easiest fix is to 'ghost load' it with an incandescent lamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.