Heat exhaustion/stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.

knoppdude

I just had a case of heat exhaustion last week, that took about four days to fully recover from. I was drinking plenty of water, but the day was hot, and as I was sweating, I thought I was OK. At the end of the day, I was dizzy, and nauseous, and had no energy the next couple of days. This by itself is not a life threatening issue, but I just learned that this can turn into heat stroke, even if a person is sweating, and drinking water, etc. if the body cannot cool off. I am just writing this to let others know to stay aware of this life threatening situation.

480sparky

Heat-Related Dangers
Know What These Terms Mean:
Heat wave: Prolonged period of excessive heat and humidity. The National Weather Service steps up its procedures to alert the public during these periods of excessive heat and humidity.
Heat index: A number in degrees Fahrenheit (F) that tells how hot it really feels when relative humidity is added to the actual air temperature. Exposure to full sunshine can increase the heat index by 15 degrees F.
Heat cramps: Heat cramps are muscular pains and spasms due to heavy exertion. Although heat cramps are the least severe, they are an early signal that the body is having trouble with the heat.
Heat exhaustion: Heat exhaustion typically occurs when people exercise heavily or work in a hot, humid place where body fluids are lost through heavy sweating. Blood flow to the skin increases, causing blood flow to decrease to the vital organs. This results in a form of mild shock. If not treated, the victim may suffer heat stroke.
Heat stroke: Heat stroke is life-threatening. The victim's temperature control system, which produces sweating to cool the body, stops working. The body temperature can rise so high that brain damage and death may result if the body is not cooled quickly.
Sunstroke: Another term for heat stroke.

If a Heat Wave is Predicted or Happening
Slow down. Avoid strenuous activity. If you must do strenuous activity, do it during the coolest part of the day, which is usually in the morning between 4:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m.
Stay indoors as much as possible. If air conditioning is not available, stay on the lowest floor, out of the sunshine. Try to go to a public building with air conditioning each day for several hours. Remember, electric fans do not cool the air, but they do help sweat evaporate, which cools your body.
Wear lightweight, light-colored clothing. Light colors will reflect away some of the sun's energy.
Drink plenty of water regularly and often. Your body needs water to keep cool.
Drink plenty of fluids even if you do not feel thirsty.
Water is the safest liquid to drink during heat emergencies. Avoid drinks with alcohol or caffeine in them. They can make you feel good briefly, but make the heat's effects on your body worse. This is especially true about beer, which dehydrates the body.
Eat small meals and eat more often. Avoid foods that are high in protein, which increase metabolic heat. Avoid using salt tablets unless directed to do so by a physician.

Signals of Heat Emergencies
Heat exhaustion: Cool, moist, pale, or flushed skin; heavy sweating; headache; nausea or vomiting; dizziness; and exhaustion. Body temperature will be near normal.
Heat stroke: Hot, red skin; changes in consciousness; rapid, weak pulse; and rapid, shallow breathing. Body temperature can be very high-- as high as 105 degrees F. If the person was sweating from heavy work or exercise, skin may be wet; otherwise, it will feel dry.

Treatment of Heat Emergencies
Heat cramps: Get the person to a cooler place and have him or her rest in a comfortable position. Lightly stretch the affected muscle and replenish fluids. Give a half glass of cool water every 15 minutes. Do not give liquids with alcohol or caffeine in them, as they can make conditions worse.
Heat exhaustion: Get the person out of the heat and into a cooler place. Remove or loosen tight clothing and apply cool, wet cloths, such as towels or sheets. If the person is conscious, give cool water to drink. Make sure the person drinks slowly. Give a half glass of cool water every 15 minutes. Do not give liquids that contain alcohol or caffeine. Let the victim rest in a comfortable position, and watch carefully for changes in his or her condition.
Heat stroke: Heat stroke is a life-threatening situation. Help is needed fast. Call 911 or your local emergency number. Move the person to a cooler place. Quickly cool the body. Immerse victim in a cool bath, or wrap wet sheets around the body and fan it. Watch for signals of breathing problems. Keep the person lying down and continue to cool the body any way you can. If the victim refuses water or is vomiting or there are changes in the level of consciousness, do not give anything to eat or drink.

Ebow

I had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago. After making two quick trips across a very short attic to pull some wire, I was installing some conduit on the south wall of the house. The sun was brutal and I was dripping sweat from my shirt sleeves. I turned to grab a tool from my ladder which I was using as a tool holder when I got dizzy and felt like I was looking through a fish bowl. I went down on one knee hanging on to the ladder otherwise I might have fallen on my face. It took a few moments before I felt like I could walk over to a tree and sit in the shade. I had my cell in my hand ready to dial 911 on myself! Finally I felt good enough to walk out to the truck and get a drink. By noon that day I had drank a gallon and stopped by the store for a gator aide on the way to my next job. Another attic and the west side of the house in the afternoon. By the end of the day I was soaking wet just like I had been swimming with my clothes on. It took me a couple of days before I felt normal again luckily the jobs I had for them were indoors.

Gene

Remember - Speed Kills and its not always you.

kwired

Electron manager
I had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago. After making two quick trips across a very short attic to pull some wire, I was installing some conduit on the south wall of the house. The sun was brutal and I was dripping sweat from my shirt sleeves. I turned to grab a tool from my ladder which I was using as a tool holder when I got dizzy and felt like I was looking through a fish bowl. I went down on one knee hanging on to the ladder otherwise I might have fallen on my face. It took a few moments before I felt like I could walk over to a tree and sit in the shade. I had my cell in my hand ready to dial 911 on myself! Finally I felt good enough to walk out to the truck and get a drink. By noon that day I had drank a gallon and stopped by the store for a gator aide on the way to my next job. Another attic and the west side of the house in the afternoon. By the end of the day I was soaking wet just like I had been swimming with my clothes on. It took me a couple of days before I felt normal again luckily the jobs I had for them were indoors.

Gene

Remember - Speed Kills and its not always you.

After the first incident you probably should have gone home and taken it easy and drink lots of water. Going back out in the heat is definately not the thing to do. No job is worth putting yourself through what could possibly happen.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
It can sneak up on you too.

We had just had training on working in the heat, when I went to do an inspection on a solar system on a local grocery store. It was in the high 90's and it was even my first stop. Got down off the roof and suddenly I started feeling faint. Got in my truck and parked it in the shade and turned on the AC and sipped on some water for a bit and started feeling better. Bet I wasn't in the sun 30 minutes.

USMC1302

Great reminder gentlemen. As Larry pointed out, when you're thirsty you're already behind on hydration. I've had some people go down hard, and they seemed to be more susceptible from then on. One ended up medically discharged. Be careful out there

vegasmark

IMO the most important thing is to get your body used to the heat slowly. take a break every hour for at least 10 mins and drink water constantly. we put a grounding grid in at a solar farm right outside of town and electrolyte pills made a huge difference. we were working 7 12's out there and by day 10 or so it felt like any other 8 hour workday... was able to go home and actually keep up with my kids til their bedtime :) you just have to pace yourself and once you get acclimated to working in hot weather you look like superman.

wtucker

It's not just the heat you need to watch out for, it's the heat index, which is a combination of heat and humidity. In high humidity, your body can't easily cool itself by sweating. If the heat index gets above 105 deg., that's the danger zone. 90 deg. and 70% relative humidity puts the heat index at 106. At 50% relative humidity, the heat index hits 107 when the temperature's at 95. In a heat wave, the National Weather Service usually broadcasts the heat index.

Status
Not open for further replies.