Ceiling Fan Installation Under Back Yard Shade Structre

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Wragg

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I will be installing a ceiling fan under a backyard shade structure. The structure is made of 6"x8" lumber and will have a fullly covered corrugated roof. Is it code complient to use a Raco fan rated box fed with UF cable? I will use a 1/2" fan box and flush it to the botom of the Beam. The ceiling fan will mount flush to the bottom of the beam and it will be exterior rated. I don't know of any exterior boxes that are rated for fan support. Thank you, Trent

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I believe your install will be just fine and code compliant. If you fasten the fan to the wood then you don't need a fan box.

Jim W in Tampa

6 inch by 8 inch seems rather small.
As long as your box is under roof and will not get wet your ok with the normal fan box.
There may be a problem with UF depending on how the AHJ views subject to damage.
Personally i would use PVC where ever it is exsposed and if within budget would rather see all of the install in PVC.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
In a gazebo, I recessed a round bell-box into the center of the framing, and ran the bracket screws directly into the wood frame just outside the box's diameter.

Status
Not open for further replies.