Wall switch location? dwelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparks27

Guys, my fellow workers insist that the code book( NEC) states wall switch must be installed within ----? distance From doorway. I cant find anything specific about location of wall switch for a dwelling room. 210.70(a-1) 2005 nec thanks,

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
You can't find it because it is not there. As evidence, take a look at exception 2 to the rule you cited. It speaks of allowing an occupancy sensor to be installed at a "customary wall switch location." If there were a required location, it would have worded that statement differently.

I think you should challenge your fellow workers to find the (non-existent) required location. ;)

SEO

I agree with Charlie. Several years ago I submitted a proposal to specify the location of switches and the code panels answer was that it was a design issue not a code issue.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
The CA Energy Code says: "All permanently installed luminaires shall be switched with readily accessible controls that permit the luminaires to be manually switched on and off."

Now that's in the residential code.

In the Nonresidential Code it says: "Independent lighting controls are required for each area enclosed by ceiling height partitions. In the simplest case, this means that each room must have its own switches; gang switching of several rooms is not allowed. This allows the lighting in each room to be controlled separately by the room's occupants."

sparks27

switch location?

switch location?

I knew I'd get a response, thank you all. I will ask them to find it in the code book and show me... I did a search there is hundreds of posts similar to this, should have known! I told them I didn't think it was in the code, Wanna Bet!! how about Lunch?

JohnE

It's a requirement in public buildings spec'd by the AAB (architectual access board) here in MA. Possibly the ADA in other juridictions.

mcclary's electrical

It's a requirement in public buildings spec'd by the AAB (architectual access board) here in MA. Possibly the ADA in other juridictions.

I believe the op is referring to the NEC. Which, if that's the case, you could have one switch in the basement turn on all the lights in a 3rd story bedroom.

cadpoint

I took a few minutes to look at the ADA they give heights for devices but do not give widths off of an opening or doorway. Pull stations, switches, recepactacles, even an a elevator button, where all give in height(s).

I'll assume that it's just a single family dwelling, I always try to check the finish schedule, wide wood splashs are all the rage, lately.

JohnE

I took a few minutes to look at the ADA they give heights for devices but do not give widths off of an opening or doorway. Pull stations, switches, recepactacles, even an a elevator button, where all give in height(s).

I'll assume that it's just a single family dwelling, I always try to check the finish schedule, wide wood splashs are all the rage, lately.

AAB requirements used to be in the front of the MA code book. (NEC with about 20 pages inserted in the front.) When I took my practical test in '92 those requirements were the subject of 4 or 5 questions iirc. So I believe that technically speaking they were 'part' of the massachusetts electrical code. loose part anyway.

hurk27

For the most part the NEC doesn't but there is 3 places it kind of says where they have to be installed:
210.70(A)(2)(c)
210.70(A)(3)
210.70(C)

hope they dont try to use these against him:roll:

Jim W in Tampa

The CA Energy Code says: "All permanently installed luminaires shall be switched with readily accessible controls that permit the luminaires to be manually switched on and off."

Now that's in the residential code.

In the Nonresidential Code it says: "Independent lighting controls are required for each area enclosed by ceiling height partitions. In the simplest case, this means that each room must have its own switches; gang switching of several rooms is not allowed. This allows the lighting in each room to be controlled separately by the room's occupants."

If thats how its worded it still did not say where or even what room the switch can be in. Kinda pointless to over write the nec and say nothing more than they did

Jim W in Tampa

I knew I'd get a response, thank you all. I will ask them to find it in the code book and show me... I did a search there is hundreds of posts similar to this, should have known! I told them I didn't think it was in the code, Wanna Bet!! how about Lunch?

Bet the a free dinner for you and your wife at restraunt of your choice that its not in the NEC. Enjoy your free meal. And now you know who not to ask about code anymore. Note that i said NEC , local and other codes could kick in

jusme123

Occupation
JW
I agree with Charlie. Several years ago I submitted a proposal to specify the location of switches and the code panels answer was that it was a design issue not a code issue.

if it was a design issue, did you ask them why they have 210.70 (C) 'other than dwelling units' (...at least one point of control shall be at the usual point of entry to these spaces) ?'

cowboyjwc

Staff member
If thats how its worded it still did not say where or even what room the switch can be in. Kinda pointless to over write the nec and say nothing more than they did

There's one more section in there that says that the light's controled must be able to be seen from the switch. So no bank of switches in the mangers office on a commercial project. But where in that area, is up to you.

You're right that nothing says that it has to be next to the door.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
There's one more section in there that says that the light's controled must be able to be seen from the switch. So no bank of switches in the mangers office on a commercial project. But where in that area, is up to you.

You're right that nothing says that it has to be next to the door.

it is possible to have a bank of switches in the managers office on commercial project

Status
Not open for further replies.