240V Open Delta

Status
Not open for further replies.

dema

Is this configuration still common on new installations? I know several utilities don't install it anymore. I've heard the weak leg can have issues.

The utility wants to use it for an installation I am designing - shouldn't be a problem in this case. 200-400A service.

I'm just curious as to how common this still is. I thought it was becoming extinct.

mcclary's electrical

Is this configuration still common on new installations? I know several utilities don't install it anymore. I've heard the weak leg can have issues.

The utility wants to use it for an installation I am designing - shouldn't be a problem in this case. 200-400A service.

I'm just curious as to how common this still is. I thought it was becoming extinct.

It is slowy becoming extinct as 3 phase is more readily available in certain areas. But, in other areas, it's still designed and implemented today, with no certain reason not to. It's an affordable way to accomplish certain things in certain areas.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The open Delta supply began as a 3ph modification to existing 120/240v 1ph supplies. The high leg transformer is usually smaller than the 120/240v 'main' unit.

It's definitely not the first choice where the major portion of the load is 3ph. For mixed loads, the 208Y/120v supply is the most popular; for industiral, Delta is.

Our local POCO willl not provide an open Delta service greater than 200a now. They're still very popular in older industrial and mixed neighborhoods around here.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
It is slowy becoming extinct as 3 phase is more readily available in certain areas.
An open delta configuration requires 3-phase. An open delta primary requires three 'lines'. An open wye primary requires two 'lines' and a neutral. If the utility only has 2-wires it cannot power an open delta.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
The open Delta supply began as a 3ph modification to existing 120/240v 1ph supplies.
The term 'open-delta' to describe a transformer connection does not always mean a 240/120 4-wire secondary is being provided (i.e. some irrigation and street lighting systems).

Npstewart

Never heard it called the "weak leg"

Its actually more like the "strong leg", more commonly known has the "high leg"

mivey

If the utility only has 2-wires it cannot power an open delta.
Sure it can (with the neutral providing the 3rd conductor or "wire"). The utility can have the primary open-wye and the secondary open-delta.

Last edited:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Sure it can (with the neutral providing the 3rd conductor or "wire"). The utility can have the primary open-wye and the secondary open-delta.

what???? are you just pokin fun or are you serious?

mivey

Serious. It is a fairly common utility connection.
Here is a diagram from Winder's "Power Transformers Principles and Applications" book:
Openwyeopendelta.jpg

mivey

I believe mivey is saying two wire as in two of the three phases are present, not as two wire as in hot and ground only.
Correct. You have to have three conductors in order to produce two voltages with different phase angles. The neutral is the conductor that fills the role usually played by the 3rd ungrounded conductor.

mcclary's electrical

What part of "only two wires" don't you understand?

Every thing you have posted confirms, what I clearly stated in my post about an open-wye primary, it takes 3 wires.

In a Wye secondary, as you know you have three voltages out of phase by 120 deg.If you measure to the neutral from any phase you get 120 volts. If you measure phase to phase you get 208 volts. Now if you remove one of the three transformers; you still get 120 volts line to neutral on two phases. You can still read 208 volts across the two lines that are left. if you reverse the secondary connection on one of the transformers, you move the phase angle through an angle of 180 deg. The phase displacement on a wye circuit is 120 deg. if you rotate that line 180 degrees (By reversing the connections) you end up with 300 degrees. The difference between 300 deg. and 60 deg. is whether you measure the inside angle or the outside angle. Now you still measure 120 volts from line to neutral from either line, but from line to line where you previously read 208 volts, you now read 120 volts because the phase angle has been changed. You now read 120 volts line to line as well as line to neutral. You now have a corner grounded 120 Volt Open Delta bank.There is not much call for 120 Volts Delta three phase so change the internal transformer connections back to 120/240 volts. Now you have a corner grounded 240 Volt Three Wire Open Delta. Much more usable. Do you have single phase loads?Move the ground connection from the corner to the center tap of one of the transformers and from there run a neutral to the service head. You now have a four wire Open Delta with 120/240 Single Phase as well as 240 Volt three phase.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
...You now read 120 volts line to line as well as line to neutral.
If you do all of this you no longer have a neutral. Don't confuse grounded conductors with neutrals.

...so change the internal transformer connections back to 120/240 volts.
you are assuming that the transformer is a reconnectable 120X240. This is not true of the typical of pole top oil-filled units used by utilities.

Other than that it is a good description of how a set of transformer coils can be reconnected. However it still has nothing to due with all three-phase primary connection require at least three current carrying conductors instead of just two.

rattus

I believe mivey is saying two wire as in two of the three phases are present, not as two wire as in hot and ground only.

I think he means two hots and a common which adds up to 3 wires providing two phases. Strictly speaking, there is no neutral.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I think he means two hots and a common which adds up to 3 wires providing two phases. Strictly speaking, there is no neutral.

Thats what I thought I stated, I just didn't add the ground, just as he did. I was just pointing out he didn't mean a single phase line to get three phase :)

mivey

What part of "only two wires" don't you understand?

Every thing you have posted confirms, what I clearly stated in my post about an open-wye primary, it takes 3 wires.
But it doesn't take 3-phase. Perhaps a play-by-play will help you understand where I was coming from:

OK. The OP must be talking about an open-delta secondary service.

It is slowy becoming extinct as 3 phase is more readily available in certain areas. But, in other areas, it's still designed and implemented today, with no certain reason not to. It's an affordable way to accomplish certain things in certain areas.

As opposed to 1-phase and 2-phase primary. True enough. But to which Jim replied with the following:

An open delta configuration requires 3-phase.

What? Why would Jim dispute the fact that you don't have to have a 3-phase primary? The OP was discussing open-delta secondary so this statement is not true for the case where you have a 2-phase primary.

But was Jim considering the 2-phase primary to be a 3-phase primary? Hmmm. Jim uses the line-line voltages for a phase count and has called the wye configuration that is missing one ungrounded conductor a 1-phase configuration so he must not be including the 2-phase option.

That only leaves the conclusion that he is thinking you must have three ungrounded conductors to have an open-delta secondary. That is simply not true so maybe he forgot about the open-wye open-delta configuration. Let's see what else he posted.

An open delta primary requires three 'lines'.

That's true enough, but the OP was not discussing the primary. Hmmm, Jim might be thinking that the only way to get an open-delta secondary is to have the open-delta primary. That would not be correct so let's continue reading.

An open wye primary requires two 'lines' and a neutral.

That's true enough, but Jim said earlier that we must have a 3-phase line to get an open-delta. He does not consider an "open-wye" primary to be 3-phase as he calls that 1-phase. Since he does not think we can get an open delta without 3-phase, maybe he is thinking about an open-wye primary with an open-wye secondary that would only be used for single-phase loads (like 3-wire 120/208). Since we do not have a 3-phase primary in this case, maybe he is trying to show how the open-wye would not apply to the OP.

If the utility only has 2-wires it cannot power an open delta.

That is true for a 1-phase primary. Certainly he does not think anyone is saying you can get 3-phase from 1-phase. Perhaps he is using "wires" in place of "lines". He said earlier you must have 3-phase.

I guess I'll post this:

Trying to say you can have two "wires"/"lines" as long as you have a 3rd wire (commonly called the neutral), in the attempt to say that you can provide an open-delta secondary even if you have a 2-phase primary instead of a 3-phase primary.

To which Jim posted:
What part of "only two wires" don't you understand?...

Hmmm. Figures.

mivey

There is no neutral point provided, but the 3rd conductor is commonly called "the neutral".

Same funny-business for "the neutral" in a 3-phase 4-wire 120/240. It is really only a neutral point for the single-phase portion of the supply.

BJ Conner

Mivey
I am pretty sure that diagram from Widers book has an error. I have never seen a ground connection on the high side. Your going to get circulating currents in the grounds. The grounding of both sides make it into some kind of autotransformer.

We use open deltas in fewer and fewer applications. The most common know is for sewage lift pumps.
Most industrial uses want 4 wire 480 volt and the rest want 208/120 systems.
Someof the older 480 volt users like 3 wire open deltas. They have to use single phase 480 -120/240 or three phase 480-120/208 transformers to get lighting, receptacles etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.