wire staples

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetlag

Thanks all

Thanks all

Wow got lots of replies, My plans are to go with 9/16 x 1 1/4 plain metal staples for 2 . # 12 flat on top of each other and for a single 12/2 nm use the yellow plastic insulated. This problem got started because I cant find any plain metal staples that mfg states whether or not more than one cable can be under same staple. They ony give the wire size. I know I have read this some where on package or code where 2 cables can be under one staple.

macmikeman

Didn't I read somewhere that your 11/4" is from the finished surface, not the edge of the stud.

300.4(D) "Nearest edge of the framing member".- for parallel runs to framing members or furring strips.

But when installed in shallow grooves and then covered with wallboard and the like- then must be at least 1-1/4" deep or covered with the metal plate.
300.4(F)

fishin' electrician

In my area the big push is for the longer red insulated staples for stacking.
Somewhere along the line the listing on the blue staples was changed to only allow 1 cable. The explanation I received was the amount of pull out tention was too small for two wires under one blue. My answer was then why are we allowed to use stackums? I'm still waiting for the answer.

I think it has to do with $$$$:roll:

I love it, once the cables are stapled, who or what is pulling on them?:D

I've literally stapled, or have seen stapled, thousands of double 12/2 nm's under a single (blue, Briscon) staple with nary a problem.

I believe what happened was a few years ago Briscon decided to have their staples listed, something that the NEC doesn't even require. Of course, once they were listed, they fell under 110.3(B).

I use the King brand that are not listed, but we'll see how long that lasts.

jetlag

Can any one post a label or instructions that show 2 #12 can go under the same staple. I cant find that any more . Ive heard there is a red metal insulated listed for 2 cables. Im almost sure the plain metal used to be listed for that

76nemo

What's to say with old work where one single run is stapled and two or more gets zip tied to them? Nothing. I really dislike stackers. I really dislike NM, but if it's covered or not, zip ties cover supported and secured.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I really dislike stackers.
These would be tough without them:

3boxesfront.jpg
3boxesrear.jpg

2boxesrear.jpg

They're also good for LV:

LVfarSm.jpg

LVcloseSm.jpg

Then, there are places where staples are still king:

staples1.jpg

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I like stackers but I was surprised when I read the "capacity" instructions on the bag. Obviously often overlooked.

macmikeman

They make staples (uninsulated of course) 1" long. Somebody please give me a code or a reason you cannot put 3 flat 2 wire cables under one of those staples. So far this thread, I have seen some say they never exceed two, and I would like to hear why. Does your inspector say thats bundling? Ask him for a code to prove it is bundling and he wont be able to.

Status
Not open for further replies.