Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member

Ravenvalor

Autocad instructor

Autocad instructor

Thanks for the 2 - tips.

One thought I had was paying someone good to mentor me while I take a self study course. I found 3 - self study courses at the book store last night. The first was "Autocad 2011 For Dummies", the second was "Autocad 2011 No Experience Necessary" by Donnie Gladfelter, and the third was "Autocad 2011 Bible" by Ellen Finkelstein.
This mentor would check my progress daily plus explain the details to me in an easy to understand way.

Thanks

hardworkingstiff

I think the level of instruction you would look for would be based on what you are trying to do with it. Are you making your own drawings? Are you just viewing others without modifying? Trying to use it for take-offs?

Rhetorical questions.

Ravenvalor

Level of instruction

Level of instruction

I think the level of instruction you would look for would be based on what you are trying to do with it. Are you making your own drawings? Are you just viewing others without modifying? Trying to use it for take-offs?

Rhetorical questions.

I would like to be an ecxellent cad drawer. My electrical business is slow and I need to do something in order to survive, even if it takes a year or two.

Karl H

I'd suggest taking a Engineering graphics class. The books are fine, but have
limited exercises. I use the books when I forget commands or various technical
procedures. I'd also suggest you master typing as that will be the majority
of your work in Electrical "drawings". :)

Ravenvalor

I'd suggest taking a Engineering graphics class. The books are fine, but have
limited exercises. I use the books when I forget commands or various technical
procedures. I'd also suggest you master typing as that will be the majority
of your work in Electrical "drawings". :)

Thanks for the tip Karl. Just picked up a typing tutor software and am going to learn how not to hunt and peck.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I would like to be an ecxellent cad drawer. My electrical business is slow and I need to do something in order to survive, even if it takes a year or two.

I don't mean to rain on your parade but there are a ton of really good CAD drafters with many years of experience out there looking for work. As someone with no experience and no track record it will be very hard to get any business. Keep in mind the surplus of CAD talent has led to a very low price for contract CAD drafting. Some places you can get it for well under $20 an hour for experienced and talented people.

Ravenvalor

Saturated Market

Saturated Market

Thanks for the note of caution Bob. I cannot picture myself in the medical, education, or government industry at my age so I guess I am stuck here in the electrical industry.

I don't mean to rain on your parade but there are a ton of really good CAD drafters with many years of experience out there looking for work. As someone with no experience and no track record it will be very hard to get any business. Keep in mind the surplus of CAD talent has led to a very low price for contract CAD drafting. Some places you can get it for well under $20 an hour for experienced and talented people.

He got them beaten by the fact that he is already a tradesman - I presume. Many of those 'designers' and 'drafters' lack the invaluable experience of actually KNOWING what he would draw. This is why CAD drawings always can LOOK good, but worthless and full of mistakes when it comes to the actual implementation of the design.

Ravenvalor

Great replies everyone.

I am pursuing my autocad education. First, per someones recommendation I am learning how to type. Second, I am getting Autocad electrical. Third I will start taking the tutorials that come with autocad. Fourth, I will either take a book course "No Experience Necessary" by Donnie Gladfelter or some other online course. Either course I take an Autocad expert has offered to help me through it.

Thank you,

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
He got them beaten by the fact that he is already a tradesman - I presume. Many of those 'designers' and 'drafters' lack the invaluable experience of actually KNOWING what he would draw. This is why CAD drawings always can LOOK good, but worthless and full of mistakes when it comes to the actual implementation of the design.

I've got to agree with that. I spent many years doing electrical work. Now I check drawings for my company and although we have some great designers with great ideas they don't always know what parts it takes and how to make it work in the building. They have never done the work. They can make it work on paper though.

Status
Not open for further replies.