E.G.C vs G.E.C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micah Gastineau

I know someone who is using an equip. grounding conductor as a grounding electrode conductor as well. I dont like it. Grounding is very important. He has a 2,2,2,4 type M.C. feeding a panel and has routed the grounding conductor from within the M.C. cable through the j.box from where it is tapped to structural steel. Is this issue directly discussed in the N.E.C. The M.C. is a temporary power supply to a new panel that was installed when a single structure was split for two new tenants. Upon new utility service being energized his plan is to cap off the current carrying conductors of the M.C. at both ends but leave the equip grounding conductor that is within this M.C. as a grounding electrode conductor. Can a grounding electrode conductor even have other unused conductors within the same cable or raceway? Besides being cheap and sloppy is this dangerous, is this a viloation?

raider1

Staff member
Provided that the conductor in the MC cable is installed in accordance with 250.64 specifically 250.64(E) it would be code compliant.

Chris

Volta

Micah, welcome to the forum!

I can agree with Chris for the GEC cable containing other conductors after the fact as being acceptable.

However, for now, it seems that the EGC is routed away from the supply conductors at the J-box. Is that true? I think that would violate 250.118 and 250.130(A), as building steel is not listed as an acceptable EGC.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
How is the GEC compliant with 250.62(C). It doesn't sound like it is but I could be wrong. C4ertainly needs bonding jumpers etc as Chris pointed out in reference to 250.64(E)

250.64(C) Continuous. Grounding electrode conductor(s) shall be installed in one continuous length without a splice or joint except as permitted in (1) and (2):
(1) Splicing shall be permitted only by irreversible compression-type connectors listed as grounding and bonding equipment or by the exothermic welding process.
(2) Sections of busbars shall be permitted to be connected together to form a grounding electrode conductor.

Volta I thought the steel was being bonded from the MC cable so I don't see the violations you quoted as being applicable. If the egc was being used from the steel then yes it would be a problem.

Volta

How is the GEC compliant with 250.62(C). It doesn't sound like it is but I could be wrong. C4ertainly needs bonding jumpers etc as Chris pointed out in reference to 250.64(E)

Volta I thought the steel was being bonded from the MC cable so I don't see the violations you quoted as being applicable. If the egc was being used from the steel then yes it would be a problem.

I am unclear as to exactly how this is set up, but the OP said, "He has a 2,2,2,4 type M.C. feeding a panel and has routed the grounding conductor from within the M.C. cable through the j.box from where it is tapped to structural steel."

To me, that seems like the steel is on the line side of the MC now, as a grounding source to an EGC within the MC.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think the mc feeds the panel and it has a #4 EGC. I believe the the jb provides the means for the #4 to exit the box and be continuous to the steel and the egc is split bolted to the GEC conductor over to the panel. If this is the case then my article 250.64(C) would not be relevant.

Volta

I think the mc feeds the panel and it has a #4 EGC. I believe the the jb provides the means for the #4 to exit the box and be continuous to the steel and the egc is split bolted to the GEC conductor over to the panel. If this is the case then my article 250.64(C) would not be relevant.

It may be so. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.