Grounding Metal boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this came up before, and I was always under the believe that if the ground wire passes through the metal j box with the circuit conductors even if NONE of them are spliced, that the ground was required to be connected to the box. NEC 2008 250 148.

After reading Mike Holts comments he says its not if it just 'passing through' with no splices (circuit conductors is).

I still think it should be connected, After reading part (C) Met Boxes. What is your opinion of this??

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If the box is effectively grounded by a metallic raceway and the circuit conductors pass through un-spliced then the EGC is not required to be connected to the box. That part of the requirment is in the beginning of 250.148:

250.148 Continuity and Attachment of Equipment Grounding Conductors to Boxes.
Where circuit conductors are spliced within a box, or terminated on equipment within or supported by a box, any equipment grounding conductor(s) associated with those circuit conductors shall be connected within the box or to the box with devices suitable for the use in accordance with 250.148(A) through (E).

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
In codes prior to 2002, the rule did require that the EGC be connected to the box, even where there were no splices or terminations in that box.

Jim W in Tampa

It is not required but still not a bad idea to do it anyways. Just might make life easier for the next man that might need a tap at that box. Also not bad idea to make a small loop of the conductors if there is a chance something might get added later.

paul

I've been instructed more than once to put a lay in lug and bond the can. I mention it's not required. Still told to do it anyway, cus they aren't chancing it. If I'm running the job, I don't put them in.

iwire

Staff member
It is not required but still not a bad idea to do it anyways. Just might make life easier for the next man that might need a tap at that box. Also not bad idea to make a small loop of the conductors if there is a chance something might get added later.

I Agree with Jim. A "courtesy loop," if you will:) ANYTHING could be possible in the future!

Number 12s for branch circuit yeah usually leave a loop. A set of 600s with 4/0 EGC .... no, not leaving any 'courtesy loop'. :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.