Alternatives for mc hl cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

conscepe

Can a TECK type cable be used for applications in class I division I (HL) ??

If PVC is used as an inner bedding could we guarantee the " impervious" characteristics ??

many many thanks.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Can a TECK type cable be used for applications in class I division I (HL) ??

If PVC is used as an inner bedding could we guarantee the " impervious" characteristics ??

many many thanks.
TECK is not a recognized cable construction in the NEC for Division 1 applications; it uses an interlocked armor rather than continuously corrugated. Technically, it isn't recognized in Division 2 either unless it is also marked MC.

conscepe

BOb, I understand NEC does not certify the TECK construction for class I division I. However; we noticed that CSA standard C22.2 N0. 174-M1984 considers the TECK option for HL. For example General cable certifies TECK as a HL cable under the CSA standard.

Please advise and your help will be greatly appreciatted.

Consuelo Cepeda

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
BOb, I understand NEC does not certify the TECK construction for class I division I. However; we noticed that CSA standard C22.2 N0. 174-M1984 considers the TECK option for HL. For example General cable certifies TECK as a HL cable under the CSA standard.

Please advise and your help will be greatly appreciatted.

Consuelo Cepeda
You are correct, TECK is acceptable in Division 1 in Canada; it has been for some time in fact - long before MC-HL was ever recognized. It is a very good construction in my opinion. It?s far more flexible than ?continuously corrugated? and easier to install. However, under the current NEC philosophy, the interlocking tape armor is not sufficiently ?impervious? to gas migrations. This is considered a serious problem, especially since Division 1 includes locations that are continuously hazardous ? effectively ?Zone 0.?

Canada has adopted the classic IEC Zone definitions and made them the preferred method of electrical area classification. Someone genuinely familiar with the classic methods of electrical area classification of both NEC Divisions and IEC Zones recognizes IEC Zone 1 is more a ?super-Division 2? than a sub-set of Division 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.