A Fluke fluke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Strange thing happened with my T+. Friday and Saturday I was reading 48V on 120V and 120V on 208. I used it today and it was accurate??? It still has the original 2 AAA bats in it. I cant find the paperwork for it, will go to the Fluke site and try to down load it.

Chris, I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens again. It was probably just a fluke. :grin:

I see now you stole the thunder in the title... geez

glene77is

Guys,

I have a Multimeter testor ($100 type, drop proofed)
that always reads 96V on a 120V circuit.
So,
I wrote a little conversion chart and glued it to the backside.

Maybe I am squeezing blood out of a turnip ?
I also drive a 40 year old VW van,
and I admit that IS squeezing right tight.
But, it helps keep me afloat.

mcclary's electrical

Guys,

I have a Multimeter testor ($100 type, drop proofed)
that always reads 96V on a 120V circuit.
So,
I wrote a little conversion chart and glued it to the backside.

Maybe I am squeezing blood out of a turnip ?
I also drive a 40 year old VW van,
and I admit that IS squeezing right tight.
But, it helps keep me afloat.
V
Do you mean you drive a VW van? or work out of one? If the latter, could you please post pics?:grin:

actually could you post pics either way? I'm a VW fan

wptski

It appears to be caused by sweat on the leads. I hang my tester around my neck and at the time this first showed up I was hot-checking a large project, so it hung around me neck for a couple days straight. (and it was hot and humid) Once it dries out it works fine. I figured this out when I was leaning over, one lead hanging in mid-air, the other touching my sweat soaked shirt and the continuity buzzer was going off.
Salt water is conductive, so doesn't this mean that your leads are defective? Fluke's site for parts doesn't function right now but last year it showed a NA for T+/T+ Pro replacement test leads, so I called them and they said that they were available for $31.05. Add the shipping cost, it would propably be half the price of a new one!!

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Salt water is conductive, so doesn't this mean that your leads are defective?

They still look brand new, even under a magnifying glass. I'm wondering if sweat just permeates into the soft rubber. I guess the only way to find out is to test 480 with it hanging around my neck and see if my head gets blown off.

Fluke's site for parts doesn't function right now but last year it showed a NA for T+/T+ Pro replacement test leads, so I called them and they said that they were available for $31.05. Add the shipping cost, it would propably be half the price of a new one!!
I think I payed around $50 for it.

wptski

They still look brand new, even under a magnifying glass. I'm wondering if sweat just permeates into the soft rubber. I guess the only way to find out is to test 480 with it hanging around my neck and see if my head gets blown off.

I think I payed around $50 for it.
At the Ford Plant where I retired from many electricians used to carry company purchased Fluke 87s years ago. They stocked the test leads. I've heard some say they after using test leads in grease, oil, water, etc. they'd get a small jolt and would replace them.

glene77is

Make and model#?

Sure, Chris,

Got this on a trade, thought it was fully accurately functioning.

IDEAL, model 61-361,
Volts (ac, dc),
Amps and continuity and diode,
Phase Rotation,
True RMS,
HZ,
MDF,
Auto Off.

--------------------------------------
Voltage 125 V AC = 90 V AC.
Voltage 240 V AC = 201 V AC.
Voltage 480 V AC = 360 V AC.
Voltage 13.4 V DC = 9.4 V DC.

HZ is OK.
MFD is close (given Cap tolerance of +/- 10%)
--------------------------------------------------------

I USE IT a lot BECAUSE :
(1) Bullet Proof Rubber Box Case,
(2) Nobody else has ever wanted to Borrow it.
:)

I have others that I bring out when I am alone
(don't take that the wrong way).

Have several O'scopes, and
have a really great AT-4001 Circuit Tracer
(thanks to Bill Addiss Electric at LicensedElectrician.com).

Last edited:

cadpoint

It appears to be caused by sweat on the leads. I hang my tester around my neck and at the time this first showed up I was hot-checking a large project, so it hung around me neck for a couple days straight. (and it was hot and humid) Once it dries out it works fine. I figured this out when I was leaning over, one lead hanging in mid-air, the other touching my sweat soaked shirt and the continuity buzzer was going off.

I think you should contact Fluke and get your meter cleaned and checked, not through the supply house, I think they'd be interested in this, honestly.

If it was dripping into the lead heads only that one thing, but if it went the other way that might be different. Salt and other herb's, like garlic will easily leach out of your body during a sweat. You can see this build up over time, FATW.

With the design of the tool, I can't see why you not pocketing it!
I'm jealous your always so Busy! :D

Well missed the fact that you've already replaced the leads!

Last edited:

glene77is

Cadpoint,

I never thought of garlic as conductive. :)
I saw a guy spill beer on a MM, that didn't work so well.
Garlic ? Suggesting a 'smell' test ? :grin:

cadpoint

Cadpoint,

I never thought of garlic as conductive. :)
I saw a guy spill beer on a MM, that didn't work so well.
Garlic ? Suggesting a 'smell' test ? :grin:

Chem. has always been my big down fall, always interested just never thoroughly grasped it. It's not just Salt that will leach. Salt and other elements/minerals, cloud-up and or grow crystals, all depending on what's in the mix. This can build up was the basis of my statement and like other things the equipment was not intended to be used in this way, thus the introduction to cause and effect.

Here's another fun fact!
If one has dandruff, increase your zinc input, or use head and shoulders and guess what's in that...

Status
Not open for further replies.