AHU Service receptacle/light

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeshesh

No, the same level basically means the same floor. Above the ceiling would not be a separate level. A rooftop would be a separate level.

The intenet is to provide a service receptacle for HVAC service. A receptacle below the ceiling would work just as well as one above the ceiling as long as its within the 25' reach of an extension cord.

Steve

Where are you getting these definitions from? While thinking about the intent of the code is surely helpful, its the wording of the document that dictates construction and inspection. The same goes for the other arguments stated, such as unless there is structural support and a hard ceiling, the area is considered the same "level".
It's not even that I diagree with your interpretation as far as it is an opinion, but code application comes down to the good ol rule I've seen tagged on this forum many times (was it Charlie's rule? I don't exactly recall): the code doesn't say what you thought it said, or what you think the intent is, or what someone told you what it says - it says what it says and it's applied just the same.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think you may have been thinking that because condensing units for split systems are required to be GFCI protected, but only because they are outside.

Read this again-- I know what you meant but you didn't say it so I will-- you meant the receptacle required for the outside unit needs to be GFCI not the condensing unit needing to be GFCI protected. :grin:

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Where are you getting these definitions from?

I'm making them up as I go. :grin:

But seriously, I agree that anytime we start talking about what the intent was, it does become an opinion, and everyone has the right to their own opinion and interpertation.

But as far as Charlie's rule goes, I think its very hard to try and claim a ceiling grid constitutes another "level" of a building.

And from the handbook commentary on this requirement, I don't think the "intent" was to require this either.

So I know its just an opinion when I say "A service receptacle isn't required above a typical suspended ceiling grid.", but I'm pretty confident that's the right opinion to have. :)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My point was what difference is there in a dropped ceiling as opposed to a sheetrock ceiling-- the level does not change. For all intents and purpose they are the same.
There is one difference: one can usually stand and walk on the framing that supports drywall; not so with a suspended ceiling.

Now, if there was a catwalk above the suspended ceiling, so the technician need not stand on a ladder, I could agree with you.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There is one difference: one can usually stand and walk on the framing that supports drywall; not so with a suspended ceiling.

Now, if there was a catwalk above the suspended ceiling, so the technician need not stand on a ladder, I could agree with you.
Yes, and you are just showing how badly this section needs a re-write. Putting a catwalk in would change the need for a recep. & light. I can only shake my head in amazement. :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.