2P CB in Branch Circuit Section of Split Bus Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

markstg

Hi...

I need to add a 2 pole 15A CB to my resi service entrance panel for a small heater (8A FLA). The panel is a split bus, 200A, 120/240V, with all 6 2pole CB in the top section used. 2 of the 2P's in the main section are each 60A which feed the Branch Circuit CBs section of the panel. I have 2 spaces left which would allow me to add the 2P 15A to the branch circuit section. Load is not an issue.

My question is whether this type of panel allowed 2P breakers to be installed in the brach circuit section. Its a Gould/ITE panel and I can't find any info on it online.

Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Hi...

I need to add a 2 pole 15A CB to my resi service entrance panel for a small heater (8A FLA). The panel is a split bus, 200A, 120/240V, with all 6 2pole CB in the top section used. 2 of the 2P's in the main section are each 60A which feed the Branch Circuit CBs section of the panel. I have 2 spaces left which would allow me to add the 2P 15A to the branch circuit section. Load is not an issue.

My question is whether this type of panel allowed 2P breakers to be installed in the brach circuit section. Its a Gould/ITE panel and I can't find any info on it online.

Thanks
As long as space allows there is no reason you can't use a DP breaker.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As long as space allows there is no reason you can't use a DP breaker.
Absolutely. The reason to place 2-p breakers in the top section is to comply with the six-throws-of-the-hand limit, and to minimize loading the 60a mains. Your plan is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.