Looking for a nice WP, receptacle post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Bill

I'm designing a downtown street renovation. Right now the trees have receptacles for Christmas lights. I want to replace these with a clean, neat, finished look. I want something other than the traditional conduits stubbed up a couple inches above grade to a receptacle in a WP box with a WP, while-in-use (WIU) cover.

Does anyone know of any type of product that has a WP post with a receptacle and WIU cover that looks decent. Vandal resistance is a bonus.

hbendillo

Yeah, that is a cool product. However, there may be some instances you want something even lower to the ground. A simple method is to dig a 8" round hole about 12" deep, stub your conduits through the hole above grade for the receptacle, and fill the hole with concrete as a footing for the weathproof receptacle. I'd use rigid elbows and a short piece of rigid conduit for the stub ups. You could dress it up a bit by making a form to extend the concrete above grade a bit and finish the concrete smooth as possible. Or if you have some good concrete finishers on the job you could make your own concrete posts, recess the receptacle in the posts and use a weatherproof cover.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I hadn't thought of using a concrete post.

With a little rebar - it would definately be vandal proof.

mxslick

Good idea on the concrete posts, but be careful..there have been posts here and on other forums where W/P Bell boxes embedded in concrete have rotted away. :)

Perhaps if you're making a concrete post with rebar in it, use PVC boxes and stubs?

Status
Not open for further replies.