Virginia,2008 NEC, and AFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumper

Just a heads up for VA sparkies and inspectors. AFCI may stay on the 2005 code requirements.

The Va State Board of DHCD will meet on Monday 7/26/10 to finalize any amendments to the adoption of the 2008. The following proposal has made it through the committees and will presented to the board for either acceptance or rejection.

afci.jpg

Page 68 of this document of the boards agenda:
http://www.dhcd.virginia.gov/StateB...ons/PDFs/codschangecycle/Book 6 - July 26.pdf

WinZip

Just a heads up for VA sparkies and inspectors. AFCI may stay on the 2005 code requirements.

The Va State Board of DHCD will meet on Monday 7/26/10 to finalize any amendments to the adoption of the 2008. The following proposal has made it through the committees and will presented to the board for either acceptance or rejection.

afci.jpg

http://www.dhcd.virginia.gov/StateB...ons/PDFs/codschangecycle/Book 6 - July 26.pdf

Am I correct here for residential , to the first outlet of a branch circuit with 8 additional devices the first outlet box must be metal an wired with RMC - IMC - EMT - STEEL ARMORED AC CABLE - then continue from there in romex NMB to the remainder 7 of the outlet devices.

mcclary's electrical

Am I correct here for residential , to the first outlet of a branch circuit with 8 additional devices the first outlet box must be metal an wired with RMC - IMC - EMT - STEEL ARMORED AC CABLE - then continue from there in romex NMB to the remainder 7 of the outlet devices.

If using an
AFCI device, yes.

jumper

Nope. The silly exception is for a AFCI receptacle device that does not exist at this point.

Think of down stream protection of devices of a GFCI rec. The exception says you would have to pipe to the first AFCI rec. (which does not exist) It is for future developments.

There are no AFCI receptacles, so ignore this. Put in your breaker and run romex.

WinZip

It's getting rather ridiculous in my opinion , It's like every time you go out to do a job you had better reference the code book.

iwire

Staff member
Seems a little silly to make codes based on products that don't yet exist, don'tcha think?!?:grin:

It somewhat makes sense as the AFCI devices are in the pipeline and will be a help when you need to add a new circuit to an old home with a panel that has no AFCI breakers available for or is still fuse type.

M. D.

you can bury them now:)
314.29 .....
Exception: Listed boxes shall be permitted where covered by gravel, light aggregate, or noncohesive granulated soil if their location is effectively identified and accessible for excavation.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Seems a little silly to make codes based on products that don't yet exist, don'tcha think?!?:grin:
You'd be equally peeved if they produced the product and code didn't allow their use. ;)

I'm going to propose allowing burying J-boxes! I'll tell them I'm inventing a device very soon that will locate them!:D

worms.jpg

jumper

afci.jpg

It looks like the amendment passed.:)

Here is the summary of the DHCD board meeting.

http://www.dhcd.virginia.gov/StateB...ons/PDFs/codschangecycle/Book 6 - Summary.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.