heat trace GFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone told me that several inspectors in the area have required heat trace tape installed in a Nema 1 situation to be installed on GFCI circuits. I looked up in the code book (Art. 210) and could not find where this was required. Has anyone ran into this? Which, if any, Article requires this?

Thanks

raider1

Staff member
Take a look at 426.28. This requires heat tape to be protected by GFPE protection not GFCI protection.

GFPE protection is ground fault protection for equipment and has a trip threshold of between 30 to 50 milliamps. In contrast GFCI has a trip threshold of 4 to 6 milliamps.

Chris

raider1

Staff member
Also if you are using heat trace cable for pipes or vessels take a look at 427.22 for the same requirement.

Chris

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Didn't find anything in 426 or 427. Anyone else want to suggest?

Manufactures instructions. I have had indoor installations that were not covered by 426 or 427. Most manufactures require it to cover their rears. The stuff is not real stable or durable. If you do it to the letter of the instructions, you will need a megger too.

Rich Elec.

I think that the fact that "this stuff is not real stable or durable" is the reason that ground fault protection is required.
If this heat tape was to be fed from a branch circuit panelboard, and ground fault protection is going to be supplied how do you not use a GF breaker that is set at 4-6m amps.
And will a 4-6m amp breaker hold?

Rich

raider1

Staff member
I think that the fact that "this stuff is not real stable or durable" is the reason that ground fault protection is required.
If this heat tape was to be fed from a branch circuit panelboard, and ground fault protection is going to be supplied how do you not use a GF breaker that is set at 4-6m amps.
And will a 4-6m amp breaker hold?

Rich

GFPE breakers are available that have a trip threshold of 30 to 50 milliamps, they are typically more expensive then GFCI breakers that have Class a ground fault protection set at 4 to 6 milliamps.

As for is the heat tape will function on a GFCI device with a 4 to 6 milliamp trip range it would really open the door for "nuisance tripping".

btharmy

As for is the heat tape will function on a GFCI device with a 4 to 6 milliamp trip range it would really open the door for "nuisance tripping".

Amen to that. My first experience on an ice melting call I found no problems except that the gfci was tripped. "Happens all the time" I was told. I had never even heard of gfpe. Did a little home work, change the breaker and no more tripping. I actually have yet to see a heat trace system that was NOT required by the manufacturer to have gf protection on it.

raider1

Staff member
Amen to that. My first experience on an ice melting call I found no problems except that the gfci was tripped. "Happens all the time" I was told. I had never even heard of gfpe. Did a little home work, change the breaker and no more tripping. I actually have yet to see a heat trace system that was NOT required by the manufacturer to have gf protection on it.

I think all manufactures of heat tape require ground fault protection, I am not sure but it could be part of the product standard for heat tape.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.