120V meter wtih 240V service

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
We are looking to do a service upgrade at a residence that presently has 120V service.
Usually the POCO gets to the job days later to install a new meter set.

Any suggestions on what to do with the 120V meter and the new 240V meter pan?

Are there some simple jumpers or jumper to temporarily put on the new meter pan so the customer can have power until the new meter is installed?

I seen and used some adapters from PSE&G (NJ POCO). It is large plastic plate with wires on it that plug into the meter socket then the old meter hangs on this plate. Is that the only way to go?

I have never gotten such an adapter from JCP&L, another NJ POCO.

Thank you.

Dom99

I'd cut 2- 3" pieces of solid cooper ground wire, hammer about 3/4" flat on both sides and insert.

I've seen utilities do it.

mengelman

years ago when we were replacing a lot of A base meters we would cut 2 pieces of 14 solid insulated wire and jump the lugs. That is how the power company wanted us to do it and I have never seen it burn up. POCO would usually get there the next day.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I'd cut 2- 3" pieces of solid cooper ground wire, hammer about 3/4" flat on both sides and insert.

I've seen utilities do it.
Are you talking about free electricity? If you do that here you can get arrested for stealing power. When I change a service I leave the old meter sometimes (when it is an underground feed) and hot wire the new meter. They sell flat pieces of metal that are designed to jump the meter. I have used a piece of 4 bare copper and hammered it flat but I still had the old meter connected.

The OP can't do that with his unless he gets all the wiring on one phase.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
Yes, I have had the meter guys tell me that is OK to get some free electricity.

I am not really comfortable with that.

I think I will check with the POCO and see if they have an adapter till the new meter set arrives.

I have never seen that happen on the same day, but it can't hurt to ask them.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
Mengelman are saying that you would install jumpers that allowed you to use a 120V meter on a 240V service so that both of the busses in the MB panel were hot?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I usually leave the line side of the old base hot, use existing or new wire to jump old base load terminals to new base load terminals. (I fit the old and new wires in the load lugs, saving hardware.)

Plugging the old meter back into the old base temporarily energizes the house until POCO receives inspection approval via fax from inspection dept.

hurk27

Here we carry jumpers with insulated handles to jump accross the tabs, we have to use these when changing old a-base meters that bolt in, we have to notify our POCO whithin 36 hours, and they will estimate power usage from previous billing.

Here is our POCO standards PDF as to what they want and allow:Electric_Standard_13250.sflb.pdf
The key is here the jumpers must be aproved for such use:
1.2 When the upgrade has been completed, the contractor may re-energize the new service
entrance by installing jumpers, from line to load, in the new meter socket. Jumpers must be
approved for such use
, and capable of handling the entire load. The original electric meter
shall be hung on the new service entrance, so it is visible to NIPSCO personnel.

Checking with your POCO will clear up many of your questions that cant always be answered here.
also check to see if your POCO has an online site, which many keep there updated standards on there, makes a quick one stop place to check for answers.;)

Last edited:

mengelman

Mengelman are saying that you would install jumpers that allowed you to use a 120V meter on a 240V service so that both of the busses in the MB panel were hot?

No im sorry if I got offtrack. These were 240V single phase services. I was allways amazed how much current 14 would carry without damage.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
I usually leave the line side of the old base hot, use existing or new wire to jump old base load terminals to new base load terminals. (I fit the old and new wires in the load lugs, saving hardware.)

Being another guy in Dominion Power land, how do the new SE conductors fare after being compressed with both the old and new in the same terminal OR, do you leave enough excess that the PoCo can cut off the ends and land fresh conductors in the load terminals? Certainly not the method they show in the Blue Book.

Mark

masterinbama

We are looking to do a service upgrade at a residence that presently has 120V service.
Usually the POCO gets to the job days later to install a new meter set.

Any suggestions on what to do with the 120V meter and the new 240V meter pan?

Are there some simple jumpers or jumper to temporarily put on the new meter pan so the customer can have power until the new meter is installed?

I seen and used some adapters from PSE&G (NJ POCO). It is large plastic plate with wires on it that plug into the meter socket then the old meter hangs on this plate. Is that the only way to go?

I have never gotten such an adapter from JCP&L, another NJ POCO.

Thank you.

Are you saying the drop is only 2 wire? If so why not have the POCO put in a 3 wire drop before you start? And leave you a temp meter. Our local POCO has done this for me before.

Dom99

I used #4 solid copper. We just mark the paperwork and meter box "Cut Thru" and the date. BTW every job we've converted was a complete upgrade to 200A, panel etc.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
Hello Masterinbama;
The over head feed from the pole is a 240V triplex, but presently there is only 1 hot and the neutral connected at the point of attachment. Thus the present service is only 120V.

Left a voice mail for the meter folks at the poco today requesting they get us a new meter for this site ASAP.
I don?t think JCP&L supplies any 120V-240V meter adapters as PSE&G (another NJ poco) does.

We are doing the service tomorrow, it really is an emergency repair, the feed on the house broke inside the conduit.

I let you all know how it goes. I would be surprised if we get a new meter for this house before the inspection happens.
The standard sequence of events is the town must pass the install first, then the poco inspects, then the new meter arrives.

This house is really an overgrown shed, but the location is great! On the shore of lovely Lake Hopatacong. The drinking water for this house is supplied by another house behind it via PVC laying on the ground. So, no water meter & no water heater lines to jumper.

Status
Not open for further replies.