Switch Leg run thru panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Q

We are replacing zinco panels in a apartment building which is 35 years old.
When the apartments were wired they ran the switchleg for the hallway light thru the panel then to the light switch beside the panel.
The inspector told me that the switchleg will have to be removed from the panel.
He didn't state a code article and i can't find it in the NEC that it can't be there.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
We are replacing zinco panels in a apartment building which is 35 years old.
When the apartments were wired they ran the switchleg for the hallway light thru the panel then to the light switch beside the panel.
The inspector told me that the switchleg will have to be removed from the panel.
He didn't state a code article and i can't find it in the NEC that it can't be there.

That's because there is no code article which prohibits it.

cmreschke

how big is the switch leg? i love this arguement i got into this one about three weeks ago when my smart assed sixteen year apprentice thought that he would get me on one and show me he knows the code book better than myself (i am a master) so he asked me if you can A splice in a panel and B use the panel or a disconnect as a raceway. i said yes and yes. sparks flew after that says i got ya you are way wrong bla bla bla. i asked him to cite me an article number gave him a code book then i showed him the answer when he couldnt find it. said he made his journeyman remove an installation with ac disconnects where he did that. still didnt believe me after i showed him said i was wrong and that the head inspector of the city of detroit was his abc teacher and told him it was a violation to do that. again i pointed at the articles in question and referenced that maybe that teacher was the reason why he was a 16 year apprentice instead of a journeyman.lmao

Jim W in Tampa

Where in the United States of America, or the world for that matter, does someone have to apprentice
for SIXTEEN YEARS?

I can tell you that in FL you need not be anything to be out there wiring as long as there is a master for the company. Could have 500 men out there with nothing.

Learning from someone who does not know enough teaches you what ?

Status
Not open for further replies.