uf wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireman1

is the ground wire in uf wire considered to be a covered wire and can it be used to feed the swimming pool light when it is brought into the deck box, provided it is in emt or pvc conduit for phyical protection site code article thanks

raider1

Staff member
The ground wire in UF cable is NOT considered insulated, it is enclosed within the outer sheath of the UF cable.

UF cable is not permitted as branch circuit wiring for underwater luminaires. Check out 680.23(F).

Chris

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with Larry. Uf is covered, not insulated, as is required by the NEC for pool lights.680.23(F)(2). Also see 680.23(F)(1) for approved raceways. EMT is only approved where installed on buildings, not underground.

RB1

I must disagree with Smart$. Although the definition for insulated conductors refers to the encasement by a material recognized by the code as insulation, 90.7 provides the basis for that recognition. The insulation of the circuit conductors in a UF cable assembly complies with UL 83 for thermoplastic insulation. The cable jacket is not tested to that standard. The equipment grounding conductor is typically bare as Don stated.

jwelectric

Hard to say- I assumed it was addressed to Bob but I thought it was a rhetorical question.

I was just wondering if the books says what it says all the time or if it says what it says part of the time and the rest of the time this is what it meant to say or what we want it to say.

Several times I have quoted the book verbatim only to be told how stupid I am so I was just wondering if
what the words really say.
is what the words say verbatim or if it is what we want them to say.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Mike- the code says what it says it's just difficult for the us to know exactly what is being said or what the intent is. :grin:

If there is anything I learned on this forum it is the fact that the English language is extremely difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.