vertical strapping

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 25' ceiling in a warehouse and i need to drop 1/2" EMT from the ceiling to the floor to power a drill press. There are no walls or vertical beams anywhere near the drill press location.....:-?

hotwire1955

i have a 25' ceiling in a warehouse and i need to drop 1/2" EMT from the ceiling to the floor to power a drill press. There are no walls or vertical beams anywhere near the drill press location.....:-?

Use 1/2" rigid with threaded couplings keep it at 20' (344.30(B) (3)

thats what I thought.. the rigid idea makes sense but couldnt find a way around strapping.. strut makes the job too costly considering i have multiple location drops.. thank you

kwired

Electron manager
thats what I thought.. the rigid idea makes sense but couldnt find a way around strapping.. strut makes the job too costly considering i have multiple location drops.. thank you

too costly compared to what? No strapping at all is least cost but we are talking about what to strap to. Strut is relatively inexpensive compared to other possibilities of what you could put there to strap to. It may be kind of flimsy if it spans 25 feet but will be cheaper than something that is not flimsy that spans this far.

I would suggest cord pendants.

Jim W in Tampa

too costly compared to what? No strapping at all is least cost but we are talking about what to strap to. Strut is relatively inexpensive compared to other possibilities of what you could put there to strap to. It may be kind of flimsy if it spans 25 feet but will be cheaper than something that is not flimsy that spans this far.

Problem to cord pedants is subject to miss use. Legal but prefer not to use if it is fixed location. Seen at at 1 not to be named factory that had hundreds of them. Coiled up at ceiling when not needed. Needs changed every week. Many unused lay there for years.

kwired

Electron manager
Problem to cord pedants is subject to miss use. Legal but prefer not to use if it is fixed location. Seen at at 1 not to be named factory that had hundreds of them. Coiled up at ceiling when not needed. Needs changed every week. Many unused lay there for years.

Would you rather see a properly installed cord pendant or see the end user tie up extension cord from wherever he seen as convenient (maybe even an adapter screwed into a lampholder) and drop down to where power is needed.

Anything can be misused.

What needs changed every week?

Coiled up at ceiling when not used is away from physical abuse that may exist if laying on floor when not in use. Coiled up in ceiling would be a problem.

Laying there unused for years I don't see as much of a hazard, The ones being used will get wear and tear on them. Unused ones that lay there for long time may get brittle but generally will not crack until they are flexed when someone does decide to do something with them.

Jim W in Tampa

Would you rather see a properly installed cord pendant or see the end user tie up extension cord from wherever he seen as convenient (maybe even an adapter screwed into a lampholder) and drop down to where power is needed.

Anything can be misused.

What needs changed every week?

Coiled up at ceiling when not used is away from physical abuse that may exist if laying on floor when not in use. Coiled up in ceiling would be a problem.

Laying there unused for years I don't see as much of a hazard, The ones being used will get wear and tear on them. Unused ones that lay there for long time may get brittle but generally will not crack until they are flexed when someone does decide to do something with them.

This was major factory doing work for gov. so will not disclose its name. They had no idea where many were even fed from and just kept adding to any panel that had open space. Often we set up outlets for testing new equipment for maybe a few weeks then just simply coil up till needed. More money than brains but paid the bills. When dealing in millions who cares about a few thousand.

too costly (labor and material) for the purpose of the job. Customer can do without if its not cost effective. Theres 4 different locations to drop electrical in a proposed new layout of an existing shop. but its going to work out with 20' rigid drop and 6' strut ground up, then finish with EMT ...cord pendants? s/o cords from 25' ceiling?

kwired

Electron manager
too costly (labor and material) for the purpose of the job. Customer can do without if its not cost effective. Theres 4 different locations to drop electrical in a proposed new layout of an existing shop. but its going to work out with 20' rigid drop and 6' strut ground up, then finish with EMT ...cord pendants? s/o cords from 25' ceiling?

Check out Table 400.4. Most type S cords are suitable for use as a pendant.

Use one of these for support of pendant.

http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/wiring/catalogpages/page_T34.pdf

stew

a rather flimsy way but will work is to drop some 3/8 all thread with a coupling down from above and mount a couple of short pieces of strut to it with small u bolts. then strap you conduit to it. use a beam clamp above if there are beams to hit. solidify it at the bottom if possible. If not it will work juist fine.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
its going to work out with 20' rigid drop and 6' strut ground up.. from 25' ceiling?
Why not use one-hole strap to floor equipment? Why bother with ground-up strut if not required?

stew said:
drop some 3/8 all thread with a coupling down from above and mount a couple of short pieces of strut..
Brilliant, especially w/ Caddy straps rather than strut.

I would install 15/8 unistrut to the steel and down to the floor. Either secure the unitstrut on the floor with a L bracket or a strut foot. Install the 3/4" emt and secure with cowboys...backed with square washers and spring nuts. I have done a application like this and it works well. Running conduit with no suports is not a good idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.