Inspector wants to group breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolfan

The inspector told me that after 2008, the code requires to have a bar on circuits sharing a neutral. What will they think of next, to help put the little guy who tries to run a legitimate business, out of business. The biggest and longest lasting supply house told me that they don't make them yet. The panel is a three phase siemens, with bolt in breakers. Any ideas or thoughts...........spare the sarcasm please, I'm not in the mood.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I was under the impression that they were available from Siemens. If not, before you close the door you might look at G-E.
Multiwire Branch Breaker
TQB
TQ3HTK
8 $

TQC
Handle Tie Kits
TQL
TQ4HTK

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The inspector told me that after 2008, the code requires to have a bar on circuits sharing a neutral. What will they think of next, to help put the little guy who tries to run a legitimate business, out of business. The biggest and longest lasting supply house told me that they don't make them yet. The panel is a three phase siemens, with bolt in breakers. Any ideas or thoughts...........spare the sarcasm please, I'm not in the mood.

No sarcasm but, have you not been keeping up with code changes?

What code cycle are you currently under?

Roger

ceb58

Whats wrong with a 3 pole breaker? I know bolt In's are not cheep but if you cant get a handle tie then the cost should be close to 3 sp plus a handle tie vs a 3 pole

Dolfan

Whats wrong with a 3 pole breaker? I know bolt In's are not cheep but if you cant get a handle tie then the cost should be close to 3 sp plus a handle tie vs a 3 pole
That was my next move and yeah I do need to study the code more or change professions. But when will it end. Some things are an over-kill......my opinion nothing more.

ceb58

That was my next move and yeah I do need to study the code more or change professions. But when will it end. Some things are an over-kill......my opinion nothing more.

I am not sure I would call it over kill but a lack of understanding of MWBC. Another tip to watch out for is if your conductors come into the panel in other than a cable assembly the ungrounded conductors must be grouped together with tape or ties.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Three sp breakers with a handle tie is the cheapest way to go. The tie is about a dollar. I would pay about $45.00 for a 3 pole 20 amp breaker but 3 sp and a tie would cost less than $15.00.

cmreschke

we in michigan are under the 2005 and i had the same reaction when i heard what was going to happen in 2008 cycle. am taking my code update class (which is required for license renewal here) next month. my thought was it was to help out the morons whom got their licenses at the big orange store with the motto "you can do it, we can help" if it werent for that breed of electrician this all would not be necessary:mad:

satcom

I am not sure I would call it over kill but a lack of understanding of MWBC. Another tip to watch out for is if your conductors come into the panel in other than a cable assembly the ungrounded conductors must be grouped together with tape or ties.

The lack of understanding of MWBC is not common with the guys that went thru a formal training programs.

ceb58

The lack of understanding of MWBC is not common with the guys that went thru a formal training programs.

And that is all fine,well and good.... except there are probably more out there that haven't been through a formal training program than have.

kwired

Electron manager
Not trying to be sarcastic but there are two basic ways to learn about code changes when there is a new code.

1. Read publications, go to classes, read forums like this one, etc. before doing the work.

2. Have an inspector red flag the change after you have done the work.

Many of the changes have been talked about and published long before the code was adopted in even the first jurisdictions to adopt the new code.

We recently adopted 2008 code here and I have been reading and talking 2008 on this forum so much that it was somewhat hard to remember what 2005 required even though that was the current code where I am at. Work in dwellings has not been much of my market lately so all the changes that affect that area have not been much problem lately for me.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Probably the worst code change ever.

I don't know if it is the worst, but many of us consider it unneccessary and even more dangerous than the problem it was intended to fix.

Roger

dduffee260

We started pulling seperate neutrals in some cases. They just started making the 3 pole handle ties because of this rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.