In-use cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireguru

i installed a few of them in my backyard. Theyre ok, not my favorite cover ever, but i wanted something that didnt stick out like a regular one does. I never expand it out, i just flip it up and use the receptacle without invoking the in use cover function :grin:

dmagyar

Just like Wireguru said

Just like Wireguru said

Where you want something to be legal without sticking out, and until something better comes out for that I'm OK using them.

aftershock

I got one installed out back. I like it better than the bubble cover. I would use a bubble cover if I was installing the outlet for something I know will always be plugged in like a sprinkler system or yard light and use the expandable one for the rest.
I like Arlington's box cover combo that I have used for new and old work.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Don't know why these are not used more, they cost very little more, and work great. http://www.arlcatalog.com/Weatherproof/Low Profile IN BOX for Flat Surface Retrofit Construction.htm
I used them once-- they were for brick and I don't think I will ever use them again. Oh, you want to know why, sure--- :) before the job was done someone broke the lid. Not a big deal but you have to replace the entire animal. Fortunately the brick guys were still there.

The little nub that the cover hinges on broke.

aftershock

I used them once-- they were for brick and I don't think I will ever use them again. Oh, you want to know why, sure--- :) before the job was done someone broke the lid. Not a big deal but you have to replace the entire animal. Fortunately the brick guys were still there.

The little nub that the cover hinges on broke.
That can be a pain. I always remove the lid and reinstall on TO. I have not put many in, maybe 10.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

bccodes

bccodes

bccodes

At the West PA. IAEI meetings they have been refered to as 10 minute covers .......They last for 10 minutes after inspection before they get broken.
Many inspectors require them everywhere but my interpretation is that you use them when something is to be plugged in all the time, Such as a soda machine in front of a retail store. I do not rquire them at a residence where only used periodically such as an outlet for running hedge clippers or a shop vac or other intermittent use.

raider1

Staff member
I am seeing quite a few of these covers being used here. I don't know how well they will hold up to the extreme cold we get here but we will see.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.