Outdoor Panels Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I have (20) 60A panels that need to be setup outside. I believe my options are to either have an "shed" type of weatherproof enclosure or have them built Nema 3R or Nema 4 and have them exposed. How are these supported most of the time? is it some types of kindorff structure mounted to a slab?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would set 2 4x4 pressure treated post in the ground and use a couple of 1x4 Horizontals to mount the panels to. The posts don't need to be very high as there is no minimum height limit to a panel.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I would set 2 4x4 pressure treated post in the ground and use a couple of 1x4 Horizontals to mount the panels to. The posts don't need to be very high as there is no minimum height limit to a panel.

Thanks very much Dennis. So no concrete pads needed. An all pressure treated wood support structure???
Thanks again Dennis.

ceb58

This is the way I would go also, except setting 20 panels you may need 3 post and I would go with 2x4 or 2x6 horizontals that way you could use 1 1/4'' screws to mount them with and not worry about the screws coming out of the back.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
This is the way I would go also, except setting 20 panels you may need 3 post and I would go with 2x4 or 2x6 horizontals that way you could use 1 1/4'' screws to mount them with and not worry about the screws coming out of the back.

Also sounds good. I thought I have seen panels mounted on plywood that is mounted to posts. Have you seen this?

Status
Not open for further replies.