Raleigh, NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardworkingstiff

Got a friend in Raleigh that is having some issues because an engineer won't accept an electronic monitor (NEMA 1 enclosure) being installed inside a NEMA 4X (plastic) enclosure without having a UL listing on the assembly. Manufacturer is the one that sent the 2 units and the EC installed them (my friend is a pump and tank installer and does not have the electrical on this job).

Anyone have a contact in the Raleigh area that might be able to do an inspection/certification that this installation does/does not meet UL criteria?

Engineer says the original enclosure is OK (UL label) and the NEMA 4X has a UL label, but the assembly does not. :roll:

Buck Parrish

Try the permits dept the one in Durham has a list of UL certifiers in the area. The Raleigh one should , too. It's probably the same list.
The Durham # (919) 560-4137 ask for Danny Thomas

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The issue is not with the AHJ. It's with the customer engineer (I think he wanted Stainless Steel, not plastic. Specs are open to interpretation).
I understand your question but if an official word comes from the head of all the inspectors in the state perhaps the engineer will listen. Now if he speced SS then you are out of luck but if he wants SS tell him to pay for it. :)

hardworkingstiff

I understand your question but if an official word comes from the head of all the inspectors in the state perhaps the engineer will listen. Now if he speced SS then you are out of luck but if he wants SS tell him to pay for it. :)

I agree. It's hard to know for sure what's what (my buddy is notorious for working around a spec to save money).

Status
Not open for further replies.