Feeders on wood poles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I'm helping bid a temp electric job and we have 5kv feeders being run on 60' wood poles. Can I also run a 120/208v cable on the same pole at a different elevation? Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I'm helping bid a temp electric job and we have 5kv feeders being run on 60' wood poles. Can I also run a 120/208v cable on the same pole at a different elevation? Thanks
It all depends if the AHJ considers the pole a structure or if the feeder is a different voltage. 225.30 & 225.30(A)

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
It all depends if the AHJ considers the pole a structure or if the feeder is a different voltage. 225.30 & 225.30(A)
]

Just read that section and it is a little vague pertaining to what I'm doing. We have a 5K feeder feeding a transformer that feeds a distribution board. From that board I would like to go back up the pole(that the 5KV was run) and route back the same way the 5KV is coming in, to feed some temp panels outside.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There is nothing about wood poles but the definition of structure says That which is built or constructed. Many of us here at the forum consider a pole a structure thus 225.30 comes into play.

If the trany is on one pole up high and you are returning to that pole from the ditribution board to power equipment down low the inspector would probably let that go. Technically I would say non compliant however since the feeds are going different places on the pole the AHJ may be Okay with it. When in doubt call the ahj as there is no clear answer in the NEC on this for many of us.

Personally I don't have an issue with it but....

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don't see an issue with code rules for this application. Yes, the pole is a structure, but there are no loads being served at those structures so the rules prohibiting more that on feeder or branch circuit to serve a structure do not apply.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I don't see an issue with code rules for this application. Yes, the pole is a structure, but there are no loads being served at those structures so the rules prohibiting more that on feeder or branch circuit to serve a structure do not apply.

Thanks guys. There are actually some other poles that have 200A panels mounted to them. That instance would be loads being served at the structure, I assume.

mkgrady

You would be doing what POCOs do all the time. They don't use seperate poles for different voltages. Think about what we see on a standard distribution pole line. Starting at the top...medium voltage distribution, secondary distribution, cable TV, telephone, fire alarm. I wouldn't even think the NEC woulkd apply to a pole line except where it might terminate at a structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.