Just For Laughs

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmreschke

installed a ceiling mounted (mushroom) fixture between scuttle hole and shelf of a dry goods pantry in a kitchen. ahj said im not approving it your too close cited clothing closet article and stated that the homeowner may put paper towel up there and light the place on fire. he would approve a recessed shower trim with a cfl in it. then we get to the gist of the convo. he wants reinspection fee i want it waived due to its not a violation, to which i get the "im the ahj god article and its a violation because i said so" argued with him for an hour on the phone. compromise was i would install the fixture he would not charge reins. fee but made sure to tell my builder that he should not have to pay for the new fixture cause i am not paying a refee. builder agreed with me about fixture not being a violation and also stated that the homeowner may store an open gasoline can next to the furnace so the furnace should be put in a bubbled of haz mat area in the basement only accessible to qualified personnel. best part was him handing me 50 cash for the can while inspector was putting green sticker on panel. :D

RICK NAPIER

While I was still a contractor I was putting up 110 smoke detectors in the units of an apartment house. Now this is when they were relatively new. The inspector told me that comming from the units panels was not acceptable that I would have to put in a main panel for the detectors only tapped before the building main. With the age of this service it would required putting in a new service into the building. I pointed out it was not a code requirement and what I installed was on the approved plans. He still insisted even after I showed him some paper work describing how to install smoke detectors. He said this doesn't mean anything he had no idea where I even got these papers. I told him to look on the front page it has departmental stamp on it that these came from his office. He said he would pass the installation if would give him a copy.

rt66electric

smurf pipe

smurf pipe

I had a whole roll of smurf-pipe. Some was needed for some LV stereo lines. After refering to the codebook I used the rest of it up in various locations, especially for the outside carriage lights mounted in rock wall, and, The homeowner/builder wanted to help(rural/county permits are allowed by owner?). Turns-out the new inspector is one of my first journeyman(a$$-^^#$&*) when I was a greenhorn.. I placed the codebook in his hands and HIGH-LIGHTED the article. He could NOT provide me with a piece of paper that stated the AHJ has superceeded the code article. I Also informed him of all of the paperwork that he would have do to provide the the state for appeals process. I called the big city inspector -- AFTER much hemming and hawwing he stated "its not illegal ,WE JUST DON'T LIKE IT".

I still ended up changing out the stuff that was not allready embeded in concrete.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Crowhopped? :confused: It's obviously not good, but . . .
never heard that either.

Urban Dictionary said:
Crowhop

The act of gaining momentum by running, jumping in the air, leading with one foot in front of the other and landing with a punch on someone's jaw so great that makes the earth tilt off of it's axis. Also used in baseball when outfielders make a strong throw to an infielder.

There are additional less PC definitions if you put a space between "crow" and "hop"

Next amazing rejection

Next amazing rejection

I wired a home with about 150 recessed cans. I have used Progress cans for a while. Easy to install and easy to install the trim. The cans have a little sticker on the very top that says that if you use it as an IC rated can you have to take off the sticker (i dont remember what it said or why). The inspector rejected the job because of this little sticker. So being a good electrical contractor I took the stickers off LOL. What a joke. I called one of my favorite inspectors and told him. He laughed his butt off. He's still taking about it and that was 7 years ok. Ain't it fun to put up with trivial crap like this. I've got more amazing rejections to come. Just have to go thru 40 years of this kind of stuff LOL:)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The cans have a little sticker on the very top that says that if you use it as an IC rated can you have to take off the sticker.

this-sign-has-sharp-edges.jpg

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Adding bonding jumpers between cover-mounted receptacles and the EMT-fed 4" sq. boxes. I planned to challenge.

At the customer's request (and expense) to expedite the job, I complied; then the inspector apologized to both of us.

Nice that he apologized. Did he volunteer to pick up the cost :roll:?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Nice that he apologized. Did he volunteer to pick up the cost :roll:?

I billed the customer for the trip and time, threw in the green wire and screws, and explained why the extra bill was incurred.

I don't know what transpired between the customer and the inspector (or his boss), but I do know the apology came afterward.

Status
Not open for further replies.