Ground wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

laketime

I am going to be pulling feeders from a free standing meter pedestal (the houses' meter) to a new barn that is being built, I will be pulling to a load center. I will have a breaker at the meter and a main on the panel. I am going to drive ground rods for the new load center at the barn. Do I need to pull a ground wire from the meter to the new load center? It is an underground feed in pvc.

laketime

Thought so. Thats for the reassurance. Love this site for proving to me I was right :grin: and sometimes wrong :confused:.

mcclary's electrical

What code cycle are you under?
We're on 05' here, and we could run 3 wires to the barn as long as no other metallic paths between the two places.

If you're on 08,you need the fourth wire

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Knowing the change in the '08 I would never think to run a 3 wire even if I was under the '05.
Does that mean you install TR receptacles everywhere, and follow all other '08 requirements, too? Why not follow '11?

I'm just sayin' . . . ;)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Does that mean you install TR receptacles everywhere, and follow all other '08 requirements, too? Why not follow '11?

I'm just sayin' . . . ;)

Sure I do-- we are on the '08---:). I usually get a jump on the new codes so if I know of changes in 2011, I will usually start to do them as soon as I know it is code.

I was tallking specifically about the 4 wire to a separate structure. I think that was a good change and it can be useful later on down the road for whatever reason.(pools,etc). Unless it was going to cost a tremendous amount of money I would pull the 4th wire-- it's usually not that big a deal.

Yes, I sometimes do wire for future work as I am often the guy that does it so it makes my life easier. :)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I was tallking specifically about the 4 wire to a separate structure. I think that was a good change and it can be useful later on down the road for whatever reason.(pools,etc). Unless it was going to cost a tremendous amount of money I would pull the 4th wire-- it's usually not that big a deal.
Don't tell anyone, but I agree with you on this one. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.