Landscape lighting transformer rated for outdoors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npstewart

Couldn't see why not. If its rated for the exterior (wet environment) then its probably OK to locate inside. It might have an extra gasket to protect it from rain.

I know usually we think that if something is more dangerous its best to put it outside (such as a wild tiger) but in the electrical world if its rated for the exterior that just means its weatherproof etc. :)

(in my opinion) :)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you put the transformer inside then the low voltage cable would have to be changed to a chapter 3 method or one that would be legal inside a building. As far as I know the UG cable does not have a verticle flame rating and thus cannot be used indoors.

Npstewart

I would also supply the Xfrmr with a GFCI receptacle if its serving the exterior. Check with the wording for exterior circuits & receptacles etc.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I would also supply the Xfrmr with a GFCI receptacle if its serving the exterior. Check with the wording for exterior circuits & receptacles etc.
I don't understand. If the trany is indoors in an area that does not require GFCI then you would not need GFCI protect. The GFCI will not help on the secondary side of the trany.

zappy

If you put the transformer inside then the low voltage cable would have to be changed to a chapter 3 method or one that would be legal inside a building. As far as I know the UG cable does not have a verticle flame rating and thus cannot be used indoors.

So UG cable has to be conduit if it's ran indoors? I thought you can't run cable in conduit?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
So UG cable has to be conduit if it's ran indoors? I thought you can't run cable in conduit?
Sure you can run cable in conduit. People do it all the time even seen nm cable in conduit. As long as the conduit is sized properly there is no problem.

I don't believe you can even sleeve the LV cable in conduit and be compliant.

zappy

Sure you can run cable in conduit. People do it all the time even seen nm cable in conduit. As long as the conduit is sized properly there is no problem.

So under no circumstances can the LV cable be installed indoors? What is the
technical name for this cable? Like romex is really NM-B cable.

I thought you can't put a raceway in a raceway? Is cable considered a raceway?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
So under no circumstances can the LV cable be installed indoors? What is the
technical name for this cable? Like romex is really NM-B cable.

I thought you can't put a raceway in a raceway? Is cable considered a raceway?

I don't know any technical name for the UG cable other than landscape cable wire. Cable is not a raceway.

zappy

So it sounds like I'll have to mount the transformer outside then. I e-mailed southwire to see if it can be ran indoors. All keep you informed. Thanks Dennis!

WinZip

I don't believe NM romex is moisture resident and moisture does get in conduit even when run vertical down an outside wall from a soffit.

WinZip

What we have been using lately for LV cable is from Cast-Lighting

tin-coated No-Ox? marine-grade wire

500 ft reels - aprox cost

12 gauge $ 175.00

10 $ 273.00

8 $ 395.00

Status
Not open for further replies.