Ent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys dont have my code book so I had a quick question .I am pricing out a job that will have 2 stone columns with sconces with a roof where they would like a recessed light to come on with the sconces ,there is no way I can not bend a pipe to go from the sconces to the recessed ,so I was thinking of transitioning out of the sconce to the recessed in ENT but am not sure if it is leagal to be in concrete .Any help would be great

480sparky

362.10 Uses Permitted.(6) Encased in poured concrete, or embedded in a concrete slab on grade where ENT is placed on sand or approved screenings, provided fittings identified for this purpose are used for connections.

raider1

Staff member
FNMC-B that is concrete/DB rated.

I think you mean LFNC-B that is direct bury rated.;):)

So concrete but notdirect buried,any ideas of something flexable that is direct buried totransition from pvc

Check out Article 356 of the NEC for liquidtight flexible nonmetallic conduit type LFNC for uses permitted.

Chris

nhfire77

I think you mean LFNC-B that is direct bury rated.;):)

Check out Article 356 of the NEC for liquidtight flexible nonmetallic conduit type LFNC for uses permitted.

Chris

Yes

...(7) For encasement in concrete where listed for direct burial and installed in compliance with 356.42

macmikeman

If you are unable to get a bend out of emt due to having to reduce the size of the bend diameter then substituting ent won't meet code probably for the same reason, but truthfully that never stops me..... Use stranded wire.

Wow I didn't know that ,but I just read it and sure enough it is,now where would I see if the liquid tight connectors themselves are rated for direct burial

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would not suggest using LFNC unless the runs are very short (few feet) will minimal bends. LFNC is VERY hard to pull through or even get a fish tape through. I tried using it for some relatively short runs in a curved stairway slab on grade applications many years ago and was hating life try to get the wires pulled. I talked to several other EC's afterwards and they told me they have been there done that and never again. I would use ENT in the areas that are above grade or concrete encased.

Yes they will be very short runs maybe 2 feet ,I am trying to transition from pvc but am not sure if the non metallic liquid tites connectors are rated for direct burial

nhfire77

I don't have my NEC here to quote, but the box the fitting comes in must say concrete tight on it, of course you won't be buying a whole box, so ask the counter guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.