fire codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

verhndy

Any mass electricians having a hard time getting a straight answers from the Boston fire department. What type of system would you install in common hallway of a five unit condo building . A violation was written for chapter 148 section 26E of the MGL.

verhndy

The violation was written and i was called in to price a install. Called fire prevention to ask what system would satisfy there violation . No answer , if i were to install a low voltage system it would have to go through them for approval . However if line voltage smokes are used it has to go through isd . They write the violation and when they go back to see if the violation has been corrected they cant say if line voltage smokes satisfies the violation . WHAT THE !

joebell

I have dealt with Boston Fire before. The experience can be less than terrible if you know what they are looking for. If the system is low voltage they want submital paperwork on every device installed in the system including a drawing showing the location of all devices. i don't remeber if they needed to be stamped or not.

Have you called ISD to get thier take on the violation? I know that can be a tough task as well but it might be worth a call or if your in town they are located in the same building, might be worth the trip.

The problem I find with alot of these municipal agencies is they are not full of information they wat as little responsibility as possible. Thats why alot of them require an affidavit from the engineer of record.

electricmanscott

I read that too. I thought in Massachussetts smokes had to have battery back up if the 110 volt style. Is this another urban myth or does it differ from FD to FD

Not a myth. Rules for new construction and renovations are in the state building code. Rules for resale of existing homes are under something else. Not sure what it's actually called.

Status
Not open for further replies.