Kitchen remodel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok Im need so help with this remodel.......there a 150amp main with two openings left. there going to be a 50amp dual oven and a 30amp range top installed. i alright have my 2 small appl. and ref. and dishwasher alright there.
can i put a 2pole 80amp breaker in the main to a 100amp sub for the 30amp and 50amp breaker in the sub/

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Ok Im need so help with this remodel.......there a 150amp main with two openings left. there going to be a 50amp dual oven and a 30amp range top installed. i alright have my 2 small appl. and ref. and dishwasher alright there.
can i put a 2pole 80amp breaker in the main to a 100amp sub for the 30amp and 50amp breaker in the sub/

Can you get two tandem breakers to open up two more spaces? It would probably be the cheapest fastest way.

Buck Parrish

I agree with jay. And / Or thier should be some breakers that are no longer used.
How's about the old range ?

Plus - Your allowed to make a tap conductor between a wall oven and stove top.

80 is an odd ball size breaker. How did you come up with that?;)

Last edited:
the main panel is on the back of the new add. and there is no other way to get in the house other then running along the back and 90ing up the side of the house and bust thought the foundation and coming in the basement...so thats why im setting a sub panel

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Yes you can use a subpanel sized to the range and cooktop size and feed those appliance from there. I assume the 150 amp main is large enough for the increased demand.

Buck Parrish

the main panel is on the back of the new add. and there is no other way to get in the house other then running along the back and 90ing up the side of the house and bust thought the foundation and coming in the basement...so thats why im setting a sub panel

That's cool , so you would have room. Just take the existing range out and use those spaces for your sub...

and there going from a gas stove to elect. cook top and dual oven.......the main panel is on the back of the new add. no other way in but going around the house and in the basement so is a 60amp main break good for a 100amp 12 slote sub for the 30amp cook top,50amp dual oven and 2 20amp for down the road

and there going from a gas stove to elect. cook top and dual oven.......the main panel is on the back of the new add. no other way in but going around the house and in the basement so is a 60amp main break good for a 100amp 12 slote sub for the 30amp cook top,50amp dual oven and 2 20amp for down the road

does this look ok????????????????????anyone anyone?????????????????

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Dennis, whenever I need to add one or two larger loads to a full or almost full panel, I always move several of the smallest loads to the new panel, and place the large new loads in the existing panel, along with the new panel's breaker.

A 60a feeder can serve a lot more small 1p circuits than large 2p circuits.

kwired

Electron manager
you do not necessarily need an 80 amp breaker Your loads are likely less than 50 and 30, what is the KW rating of each?

As others have said I would put these larger loads in the main panel and move some smaller loads to a subpanel if you add one.

Status
Not open for further replies.