Running quadraplex or triplex cable pole to pole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I have tried to search for pictures of this installation. If I am running this cable to feed something 500' away and I am going wood pole to wood pole(about 9 of them) what happens at each pole. Do I just support the cable and if so what can I use. Are insulators needed? I guess I have to splice at some points due too then length of the run or can you get a spool that long.

As I said in an earlier post I really feel that there is no better place to get install information than from an electrician. It is amazing how many people in the "office", estimators etc. just assume to a degree about an installation and don't really know what it entails. I don't want to be one of those people. I keep binders with pictures, details, cuts etc. I REALLY do appreciate the feedback and would gladly help in anyway I could....and don't say don't ask anymore questions..lol...:D

Thanks very much

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Look no futher than your local utility company, they have it down pat, and probably can steer you in the right direction on where to get the proper supports.:)

nakulak

it might be a good idea to get a price for stringing your wire from a line crew. A lot of poco's sub out line work, and you can hire the crew to string your cable for you. Lightgauge triplex is easy for your own guys to install - all you need is B-clamps and insulators or hooks on the poles and a lift. But heavy wire requires a few more tools and a little experience.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
it might be a good idea to get a price for stringing your wire from a line crew. A lot of poco's sub out line work, and you can hire the crew to string your cable for you. Lightgauge triplex is easy for your own guys to install - all you need is B-clamps and insulators or hooks on the poles and a lift. But heavy wire requires a few more tools and a little experience.

Thahat was very helpful NAKULAK. We will be running triplex and quadruplex cables from #6 up to 2/0

Status
Not open for further replies.