Washing Machine GFI Tripping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone had any experience with washing machines nuisance tripping a GFI. Installed receptacles in single family dwelling. three of the receptacles in the basement. I was called back for washing mashine receptacle tripping.

Yes it is an unfinished basement. Homeowner had an appliance man come out and told her that washing machines should not be on a GFI receptacle.

sgunsel

Why do you think it is a "nuisance" trip? The GFCI is most likely doing what it is supposed to do, trip leakage to ground exceeds 6 ma.

RICK NAPIER

As I understand it UL changed thier requirements for appliances to less than 4 miliamps leakage to ground. Older appliances may not meet these standards and would trip GFI protected devices while still working within thier design perameters.

mxslick

Why do you think it is a "nuisance" trip? The GFCI is most likely doing what it is supposed to do, trip leakage to ground exceeds 6 ma.

I agree. Check the washing machine first. The appliance man is NOT the AHJ and cannot instruct the homeowner to bust Code.

Is the washer an older one or is it new? If new it may have a defect. I have a new frontloader on a GFCI and it never trips.

ceb58

I have had washing machines on GFCIs for longer than a third of you have been in business. Well anyway, a long time. Appliance man has his head someplace dark.

And stinky:grin:
For the fun of it and to show a good faith effort I would replace the GFCI,just in case it is bad, but the home owner would understand that if the new one started triping it out then there is nothing that can be done except for replace the washer or move it to a location that would not require GFCI protection.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
As I understand it UL changed thier requirements for appliances to less than 4 miliamps leakage to ground. Older appliances may not meet these standards and would trip GFI protected devices while still working within thier design perameters.
The UL standard for leakage current for household appliances is 0.75mA for some items such a sump pumps and 0.5mA for other items such as washing machines and refrigerators. The minimum trip point for a GFCI is 4mA so the permitted leakage current should never trip the GFCI if the appliance is working correctly. I believe that has been the standard since 1973.

brian john

Meg the circuit and the washer seperate.

Phase to ground
Neutral to ground (isolate the neutral)
Phase to neutral

Watch the electronic controls on the washer use 50-100 VDC scale to start with.

and call back with results.

Jim W in Tampa

I have 2 washers in a some what damp area and both are on gfci receptacles. Both are old and no problems. The appliance guy simply lacks the skills needed to locate such problems.
There is a chance you have bought a bad batch so replace with another brand and print customer section from nec requiring them.
Only place i do not want gfci protected is my 2 frigs and freezer. That is one place a false trip is too risky because of food. But if my place was new they be required.

hurk27

I have run into this problem, and ran a few test to see if it was an inductive kick back like that which use to happen to ceiling fans, and after five times letting the washer trip the GFCI, the scope showed about a 1.8kv kick right at the time the washer water fill valves kicked off, this is also right when the GFCI tripped, I don't have the interface for the tech-tronic scope to upload the trace to the computer, but it does have capture for events.

What I did fine out was changing the GFCI to a leviton stopped the tripping, the GFCI that was installed was the cheap Menard's ones in the red box's, newer GFCI's are supposed to have electronics to reject inductive kickback, but there are these cheap made in China ones still getting past this UL requirement.

So if you get called on this problem and find a washer full of water but not running, then this is what is happening, it will trip from an inductive kick back from the fill valve being turned off, leaving the washer full of water, (unless the home owner resets the GFCI and finishes the load)

Jim W in Tampa

"...simply lacks the skills..." is more PC than HUA symdrome. Having suffered many times from said affliction in the past, I will try to remember that description for future use.

Its the nicer way of saying he is stupid.

One issue OP did not tell us is how often it trips. We all have seen gfi trip for what seems like no reason but with exception of a few they do there job.

Thanks for the input. I did change out the gfi (it is a leviton) just in case. Still tripped. Told the homeowner why I couldn't "put the same plug that was there before I did the upgrade". I can see why she was frustrated about her washing machine but what was I to do.
Trips out during the spin cycle.

Last edited:

Jim W in Tampa

Thanks for the input. I did change out the gfi (it is a leviton) just in case. Still tripped. Told the homeowner why I couldn't "put the same plug that was there before I did the upgrade". I can see why she was frustrated about her washing machine but what was I to do.
Trips out during the spin cycle.

Then you did your part. Now she makes choice of who she wants to trust. I would keep this on file so if is a problem your covered. She will either find new appliance man, buy new washer or hire handy man to put non gfi receptacle back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.