What type light box for knob and tube wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenvalor

Hello fellow industry professionals,

I have a pair of knob and tube conductors poking out of a ceiling. Can I put 2 - ENT connectors on a pancake box and use it to hang a chandelier there? Article 394 mentions non metallic tubing. I can probably use a nonmetallic popin light box but I have not seen the job and am not sure if the wood ceiling can handle cutting. I am not a big fan of the telescopic fan braces.

Are there any restrictions as to what type fixtures I can install on K&T wiring insulation?

Thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Technically it is non compliant to add a new fixture to a K&T circuit unless you get a ground wire there. Have I done it? Yes, simply because the new fixture is more likely safer than the old one so......

A metal box would also not be allowed without grounding it. Given the ceiling is wood a pop in box may work depending on the weight of the fixture.

I don't understand why the ceiling would not be able to handle cutting.

Steviechia2

I agree with Dennis, even though it needs a ground I think it's safer to install a new light . I like to see a semi flush where there is no heat build up. I would try to use a plastic pancake box or plastic old work. Those knob and tube wires tend to get a little brittle and like to short out on metal boxes

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I have done similar work by mounting a 2g plastic nail up box close to the K/T wires. 2g gives more space, less bending. If the K/T has any of the loom covering on it, use pieces of it to take each old wire into the box. Let 1/4" or more loom come into the box. If needed, staple wire near box, staple on the loom. If you don't have loom, a stacker near the box will work well, and heavily tape the wire at the entry point. If the wires are brittle at all, give them a layer of tape all the way. Take a piece of NM cable from the box to your light box. If the ceiling is too fragile to cut, use a plastic pancake box, as someone else said. A brown bakelite box is good if you can cut the ceiling. I bought a vibe saw recently and I find that it cuts fragile material with much less damage that a sawzall.

This way, no stress on the old conductors, clamping and hard twisting is confined to the new wire. If you get called back to replace the K/T, simply run new NM to your J box and not have to take the light down.

I just used this same setup to refeed K/T after a copper theft. Brought feeder to attic, fed J box & brought K/T into it.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've 'replaced' crumbling insulation in both K&T and BX installs by sliding on a length of insulation from modern NM. I remove as much of the crumbles as I can (it's usually only within the old fixture canopy's space or ceiling box.)

If the old wire is straight, I'll try the same size, but I usually end up sliding #12 insulation onto #14 wire. I cut it a tad longer than necessary so the splice and wirenut hold it snugly butted against the remaining old insulation end.

mcclary's electrical

I've 'replaced' crumbling insulation in both K&T and BX installs by sliding on a length of insulation from modern NM. I remove as much of the crumbles as I can (it's usually only within the old fixture canopy's space or ceiling box.)

If the old wire is straight, I'll try the same size, but I usually end up sliding #12 insulation onto #14 wire. I cut it a tad longer than necessary so the splice and wirenut hold it snugly butted against the remaining old insulation end.

Heat shrink works well also

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Wasn't this changed in 05 or 08? I don't think the ground wire for lights is required if it's gfci protected.
I think we're operating under the "who's going to be able to touch the fixture and a grounded surface at the same time?" train of thought here.

Ravenvalor

I hope it meets code because I like it.

mtfallsmikey

[I don't understand why the ceiling would not be able to handle cutting.[/QUOTE]

If it's real old-school hog's hair/plaster, it will crumble like the Roman Empire....

"Newer" plaster w/ wood/metal lath much more solid.

Ravenvalor

Mission Accomplished

Mission Accomplished

I went to the jobsite and there was the old style BX cable with boxes in the ceiling. The fixtures installed without a hitch. Once again, thanks for the help.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician

I hadn't thought of that, I'll try it next time. I usually tape up.

glene77is

Larry,
Good technique, sliding new insulation over the #14.

I have used liquid rubber (liquid tape)
to paint cracking K&T insulation,
this holds (glues together) the pieces of K&T insulation.
Works on old 40's romex cabling and insulation.

IMO, there is no cure for old insulation,
only good techniques.

Status
Not open for further replies.